BUSH, James Arthur.
Born at Cawnpore, India, 28th July 1850.
Died at Clevedon, Somerset, 21st September 1924.
He was the son of Lieutenant-Colonel Bush, of Clifton. He was educated at Clifton College, where he was captain of the cricket eleven. He played 136 matches for Gloucestershire, 148 first-class matched in all, and toured Australia with W.G.Grace’s team in 1873/4. He was also an excellent rugby player for the Gloucestershire XV and won five international caps.
At the time of the 1881 Census he was staying at St.Vincents Rock Hotel, Sion Hill, Clifton, Gloucestershire, aged 30 and a “Gentleman.” His wife Lillie, aged 21, was born at Melbourne, Victoria, as was Mabel Oldham aged 13 who was staying with them. Other visitors were two unmarried ladies, Mary E.Hellyar, aged 61, and Laura C.Hellyar, aged 59, both born at Oldcombe, Somerset. The Hotel staff was two barmaids, a book keeper, a cook, a housemaid, a waiter and a billiard marker.
(Article: Copyright © 2003 Don Ambrose)
- England in Sri Lanka 2014/15
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- India in Australia 2014/15
- New Zealand in United Arab Emirates 2014/15
- South Africa in Australia 2014/15
- South Africa Women in India 2014/15
- Sri Lanka in India 2014/15
- West Indies Women in Australia 2014/15
- Zimbabwe in Bangladesh 2014/15
View all Current Events CLICK HERE