CLAYTON, John Morton.
Born at Chesterfield, Derbyshire, 17th November 1857.
Died at West Southbourne, Hampshire, 1st April 1938.
He played for Derbyshire in two matches, the first in 1881 and the second in 1883.
He was the son of Joseph Clayton, founder of Clayton & Company - Tanners and Curriers of Clayton Street Chesterfield. He was born in Chesterfield, and jointly ran Clayton & Co (after the death of their father) with his brother Joseph Edward Clayton - until the early 20th Century. John Morton Clayton was Mayor of Chesterfield from 1890 to 1892 and was succeeded as the Mayor by his father-in-law; William Bradbury Robinson (of Robinson's of Chesterfield). John was married to Maria Robinson in 1884.
(with thanks to Roy Smith)
(Article: Copyright © 2003 Don Ambrose)
- Afghanistan in Bangladesh 2016/17
- Australia in South Africa 2016/17
- Australia Women in Sri Lanka 2016/17
- England in Bangladesh 2016/17
- England Women in West Indies 2016/17
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- Ireland in South Africa 2016/17
- New Zealand in India 2016/17
- New Zealand Women in South Africa 2016/17
- West Indies in United Arab Emirates 2016/17
View all Current Events CLICK HERE