EVERSHED, Sydney Herbert.
Born at Stapenhill, Burton-on-Trent, Staffordshire, 13th January 1861.
Died at Burton-on-Trent, Staffordshire, 7th March 1937.
The son of Sydney Evershed, M.P. for the Burton Division of Staffordshire. He was educated at Clifton College, where he was a member of the cricket eleven. He played for Staffordshire in 1878 and for Derbyshire 1880-90, being captain 1891-98. In all he played in 76 first-class matches, 75 of them for Derbyshire. He was President of Derbyshire 1905 and 1907-08. His brothers Edward and Wallis also played for Derbyshire as did his cousin G.F.Bell. His father was a brewer and he followed him in the family business. In 1929 he was created a Knight. His residence was at Albury House, Burton-on-Trent.
The 1881 Census find him living with his parents at 25 Stapenhill Road, Stapenhill, Burton-on-Trent. His father, Sydney aged 55 born at Albury, Surrey, was a common brewer employing 72 persons and Mayor. His mother Fanny, aged 51 born in Chelsea. Also present are his sister Mary aged 23 and brothers Percy aged 22, and Wallis aged 17. Sydney, aged 20, is described as a brewers Son. There are five domestic servants.
(Article: Copyright © 2003 Don Ambrose)
- Afghanistan in Zimbabwe 2015/16
- England in United Arab Emirates 2015/16
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- ICC World Cricket League Championship 2015 to 2017
- Ireland in Zimbabwe 2015/16
- New Zealand in Australia 2015/16
- Pakistan Women in West Indies and United States of America 2015/16
- South Africa in India 2015/16
- West Indians in Sri Lanka 2015/16
View all Current Events CLICK HERE