Born at Smeeth, Ashford, Kent, 21st April 1854.
Died at Woolwich, London, 3rd January 1922.
The family changed its name from Foord in May 1872. William was educated at Chatham House, Ramsgate, and went up to Exeter College, Oxford, where he was a member of the University cricket eleven 1874-75. He also played for Kent 1874-83 in 64 matches and in 78 first-class matches in all. His brother John also played for Oxford University and his nephew O.C.Mordaunt for Somerset. He became a barrister in 1880, and in 1880 a lecturer at the Royal Military Academy, Woolwich. He became professor of Mathematics and Mechanics in 1903. In 1905 he was living at The Shrubbery, Shooters’ Hill, Kent.
In the 1881 Census he is shown at 7 Ethelbert Crescent, Margate, Kent, a lodging house run by Mrs. Clara A. Holness, a widow aged 57, who has two domestic servants. William Foord-Kelcey is the only boarder, unmarried, aged 26, and a barrister at Law, in practice.
(Article: Copyright © 2003 Don Ambrose)