FOWLER, William Herbert.
Born at Tottenham, Middlesex, 28th May 1856.
Died at Chelsea, London, 13th April 1941.
The son of W.Fowler, M.P., of Leytonstone, he was educated at Rottingdean, Sussex, and at Grove House School, Tottenham. He played his county cricket for Essex before they were a first-class county in 1877, then for the M.C.C. and for Somerset 1878-88. Part of this time Somerset were not considered first-class but in total he played in 26 first-class matches, 15 of which were for that county. His brothers Gerald and Howard also played for Somerset. A keen golfer he played for England against Scotland in 1903 and 1905, and designed golf courses both in England and America. His occupation was as a banker.
The 1881 Census finds him living at 1 Hammett Street, Taunton, Somerset, unmarried, aged 24, and a banker. He has two domestic servants, Thomas Lapworth the butler and his wife Phoebe the cook.
(Article: Copyright © 2003 Don Ambrose)
- Afghanistan in Ireland 2016
- Afghanistan in Scotland 2016
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- ICC World Cricket League Championship 2015 to 2017
- India in West Indies 2016
- Pakistan in England and Ireland 2016
- Pakistan Women in England 2016
- Sri Lanka in England and Ireland 2016
- West Indies Tri-Series 2016
View all Current Events CLICK HERE