FOWLER, William Herbert.
Born at Tottenham, Middlesex, 28th May 1856.
Died at Chelsea, London, 13th April 1941.
The son of W.Fowler, M.P., of Leytonstone, he was educated at Rottingdean, Sussex, and at Grove House School, Tottenham. He played his county cricket for Essex before they were a first-class county in 1877, then for the M.C.C. and for Somerset 1878-88. Part of this time Somerset were not considered first-class but in total he played in 26 first-class matches, 15 of which were for that county. His brothers Gerald and Howard also played for Somerset. A keen golfer he played for England against Scotland in 1903 and 1905, and designed golf courses both in England and America. His occupation was as a banker.
The 1881 Census finds him living at 1 Hammett Street, Taunton, Somerset, unmarried, aged 24, and a banker. He has two domestic servants, Thomas Lapworth the butler and his wife Phoebe the cook.
(Article: Copyright © 2003 Don Ambrose)
- Afghanistan in United Arab Emirates 2014/15
- England in Sri Lanka 2014/15
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- India in Australia 2014/15
- New Zealand in United Arab Emirates 2014/15
- South Africa in Australia 2014/15
- South Africa Women in India 2014/15
- West Indies in South Africa 2014/15
- Zimbabwe in Bangladesh 2014/15
View all Current Events CLICK HERE