CricketArchive

Brief history of The Oval, Llandudno
by Dr.A.K.Hignell - Hon Statistician and Historian to Glamorgan CCC


Ground:Llandudno Cricket Club Ground

In 1969 Glamorgan held their Sunday League fixture with Leicestershire at the Llandudno Cricket Club. Their ground, known as The Oval , has been used by the club since 1891 and lies on land which was leased to the cricket club by the Mostyn Family of Gloddaeth Hall. The family did much to develop and popularise the North Wales resort, and in September 1924 Lord Mostyn opened a pavilion during the two day game between the touring South Africans and a North Wales XI. The following year the inaugural first-class match took place on the ground between Wales and Ireland, and in the late 1920`s it was used again by Wales for their tourist matches with the West Indians and New Zealanders.

 

In 1949 the ground was purchased by the Llandudno Urban District Council, and during the 1950`s and 1960`s various Benefit and exhibition games were staged at the ground during the holiday season. It was the popularity of these games which led Glamorgan to stage their inaugural Sunday fixture with Leicestershire at The Oval. It was televised, but rain interupted the game, and Glamorgan were eventually adjudged the victors by virtue of a superior run rate.

(Article: Copyright © 2003 Dr.A.K.Hignell)

LATEST SCORES

| Privacy Policy | FAQs | Contact |
Copyright © 2003-2018 CricketArchive