Born at Rochdale, Lancashire, 9th April 1851.
Died at Rotherham, Yorkshire, 20th December 1892.
He was the son of James Law, of Eltofts, near Leeds, Yorkshire. He was educated at Malton, Yorkshire, and then Harrow, where he was a member of the cricket eleven 1868-70. He went up to Brasenose College, Oxford, and won his cricket blue in the four years 1871-74, being captain in 1874. Between 1871 and 1883 he played in 28 first-class matches, four of them for Yorkshire. His brother George, educated at Radley, also played first-class cricket, including three matches for Middlesex.
He entered the Church and was curate of Beverley, Yorkshire, 1875-76, of Doncaster 1876-78 and of Kensington, London, 1878-83. He was the first curate-in-charge of the Harrow Mission, in Latimer Road, London, and vicar of Holy Trinity, Hammersmith 1885-89. He was vicar of Rotherham, Yorkshire from 1890 until his death in 1892 from pleurisy. He was buried in Paddington Cemetery, London, and a new cricket pavilion was erected to his memory at Harrow cricket field in 1893.
In the 1881 Census he appears as a lodger in Mrs Ellen Catmurís lodging house, at 26 Holland Street, Kensington, a 29 year old unmarried curate of St Mary Abbotts.
(Article: Copyright © 2003 Don Ambrose)