Born at Bowdon, Cheshire, 30th November 1854.
Died at Southport, Lancashire, 15th November 1913.
The son of Joseph Leese, cotton spinner, of Withington, Manchester, he was educated at Cheltenham, where he was a member of the cricket eleven in 1873. He played in eight first-class matches, all of them for Lancashire, between 1880 and 1884. His elder brother J.F. also played for Lancashire 1865-81, and his son C.P. played for Oxford University and Lancashire 1908-11. Three of J. F.ís sons also played first-class cricket. He went into the family business as a cotton spinner and manufacturer.
In the 1881 Census he was living at 1 Hazeldean, Withington, Manchester, with his father Joseph, aged 66, cotton spinner employing 1492 women, and his mother Frances S. aged 62 born in Brazil. He was aged 26, born at Dunham Massey, cotton spinner and manufacturer, and unmarried. His sister Harriet is unmarried, aged 18 and also born at Dunham Massey. There were four domestic servants.
(Article: Copyright © 2003 Don Ambrose)
- Afghanistan in Bangladesh 2016/17
- Australia in South Africa 2016/17
- Australia Women in Sri Lanka 2016/17
- England in Bangladesh 2016/17
- England Women in West Indies 2016/17
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- Ireland in South Africa 2016/17
- New Zealand in India 2016/17
- New Zealand Women in South Africa 2016/17
- West Indies in United Arab Emirates 2016/17
View all Current Events CLICK HERE