Born at Bowdon, Cheshire, 30th November 1854.
Died at Southport, Lancashire, 15th November 1913.
The son of Joseph Leese, cotton spinner, of Withington, Manchester, he was educated at Cheltenham, where he was a member of the cricket eleven in 1873. He played in eight first-class matches, all of them for Lancashire, between 1880 and 1884. His elder brother J.F. also played for Lancashire 1865-81, and his son C.P. played for Oxford University and Lancashire 1908-11. Three of J. F.ís sons also played first-class cricket. He went into the family business as a cotton spinner and manufacturer.
In the 1881 Census he was living at 1 Hazeldean, Withington, Manchester, with his father Joseph, aged 66, cotton spinner employing 1492 women, and his mother Frances S. aged 62 born in Brazil. He was aged 26, born at Dunham Massey, cotton spinner and manufacturer, and unmarried. His sister Harriet is unmarried, aged 18 and also born at Dunham Massey. There were four domestic servants.
(Article: Copyright © 2003 Don Ambrose)
- Australia in New Zealand 2016/17
- Bangladesh in India 2016/17
- Bangladesh in New Zealand 2016/17
- Desert Twenty20 2016/17
- England in India 2016/17
- ICC Women's World Cup Qualifier 2016/17
- Pakistan in Australia 2016/17
- South Africa Women in Bangladesh 2016/17
- Sri Lanka in South Africa 2016/17
- United Arab Emirates Tri-series 2016/17
View all Current Events CLICK HERE