Born at Bowdon, Cheshire, 30th November 1854.
Died at Southport, Lancashire, 15th November 1913.
The son of Joseph Leese, cotton spinner, of Withington, Manchester, he was educated at Cheltenham, where he was a member of the cricket eleven in 1873. He played in eight first-class matches, all of them for Lancashire, between 1880 and 1884. His elder brother J.F. also played for Lancashire 1865-81, and his son C.P. played for Oxford University and Lancashire 1908-11. Three of J. F.ís sons also played first-class cricket. He went into the family business as a cotton spinner and manufacturer.
In the 1881 Census he was living at 1 Hazeldean, Withington, Manchester, with his father Joseph, aged 66, cotton spinner employing 1492 women, and his mother Frances S. aged 62 born in Brazil. He was aged 26, born at Dunham Massey, cotton spinner and manufacturer, and unmarried. His sister Harriet is unmarried, aged 18 and also born at Dunham Massey. There were four domestic servants.
(Article: Copyright © 2003 Don Ambrose)
- Afghanistan in Zimbabwe 2015/16
- Bangladesh Women in Pakistan 2015/16
- England in United Arab Emirates 2015/16
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- ICC World Cricket League Championship 2015 to 2017
- Ireland in Zimbabwe 2015/16
- Pakistan in Zimbabwe 2015/16
- Pakistan Women in West Indies and United States of America 2015/16
- South Africa in India 2015/16
- West Indians in Sri Lanka 2015/16
View all Current Events CLICK HERE