LONGMAN, George Henry.
Born at Farnborough Hill, Hampshire,3rd August 1852.
Died at Wimbledon Common, Surrey, 19th August 1938.
The son of T. Longman, of Farnborough Hill, Hampshire, he was educated at Eton, where he was a member of the cricket eleven 1868-71, being captain in his last year. He was also Master of the Beagles 1870-71. He went up to Trinity College, Cambridge, and played cricket for the University 1872-75, being captain 1874-75. He played for Hampshire in 27 matches 1875-85 and played in 68 first-class matches in all. He was Master of the Surrey Union Foxhounds 1900-04. From 1926 until 1928 he was President of Surrey CCC and Hon Treasurer from 1929 until his death. He was a member of the publishing firm Longmans, Green & Co. and lived at West Hill House, Epsom. His son Henry K. played for Cambridge University, Surrey and Middlesex 1901-21.
No trace of him could be found in the 1881 Census.
(Article: Copyright © 2003 Don Ambrose)
- Afghanistan in Bangladesh 2016/17
- Australia in South Africa 2016/17
- Australia Women in Sri Lanka 2016/17
- England in Bangladesh 2016/17
- England Women in West Indies 2016/17
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- Ireland in South Africa 2016/17
- New Zealand in India 2016/17
- New Zealand Women in South Africa 2016/17
- West Indies in United Arab Emirates 2016/17
View all Current Events CLICK HERE