Born at Oving, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, 1st April 1850.
Died at Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, 13th November 1903.
He learnt his cricket with the Oving Club, with which he started as an underhand bowler, eventually learning overarm. His first professional engagement was in 1872 at the Heys School, Malvern and he was on the Worcestershire County Ground 1873-74. He moved to the Barrow-in-Furness Club in 1875 and 1876 and was at Accrington 1877-81 and at Darwen in 1882. He had first been tried by Lancashire in 1879 and between then and 1885 played in 58 first-class matches, 54 of them for Lancashire. His bowling action was questioned and he dropped out of county cricket as a result. In 1885 he was with the Darlington Club and from 1886 until 1895 he was with the Leyland Club, who awarded him a benefit at the beginning of 1896 on his departure. He returned to Buckinghamshire and played for them from 1894 until 1903, the year of his death.
At the time of the 1881 Census he was living at 2 Penny House Lane, Accrington, Lancashire, aged 30 born Oving, a cricketer/professional, with his wife Mary Elizabeth, aged 22, born at Burnley, Lancashire.
(Article: Copyright © 2003 Don Ambrose)
- Afghanistan in Ireland 2016
- Afghanistan in Scotland 2016
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- ICC World Cricket League Championship 2015 to 2017
- India in West Indies 2016
- Pakistan in England and Ireland 2016
- Pakistan Women in England 2016
- Sri Lanka in England and Ireland 2016
- West Indies Tri-Series 2016
View all Current Events CLICK HERE