Fred Mathias won the Military Cross in September 1918 after the 20 year old had shown gallantry by undertaking many hours of successful reconnaissance over enemy lines with the Royal Flying Corps.
The former Clifton schoolboy then went up to Caius College Cambridge, where he showed promise as a right-handed batsman and off-spin bowler. He met with further success playing for Radyr and Cardiff, and in 1922 Mathias was called into the Glamorgan side to play Nottinghamshire.
After coming down from Cambridge he became a stockbroker, and also worked at Cardiff Docks, and he continued to play occasionally for Glamorgan until 1930.
(Article: Copyright © 2003 Dr.A.K.Hignell)
- England in Bangladesh 2016/17
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- ICC World Cricket League Championship 2015 to 2017
- New Zealand in India 2016/17
- New Zealand Women in South Africa 2016/17
- South Africa in Australia 2016/17
- Sri Lanka in Zimbabwe 2016/17
- West Indies in United Arab Emirates 2016/17
View all Current Events CLICK HERE