Ernie Carless was a talented all-round sportsman either side of the Second World War, playing football for Cardiff City and county cricket for both Glamorgan and Devon.
He had shown rich promise as a batsman wicket-keeper in club cricket for Barry and Cardiff, and in 1934 he played in two first-class matches for Glamorgan. He continued to play for the county`s 2nd XI in their Minor County fixtures, and played for Glamorgan in their wartime fund-raising matches.
After the War he became Cardiff City`s groundsman, and in 1946 he re-appeared in a first-class match for Glamorgan when they were beset by injuries and struggling to field a team. At the end of the summer, he accepted the post of groundsman at Plymouth Argyle F.C., and in addition to looking after the Home Park pitch, he played Minor County cricket for Devon between 1947 and 1949.
(Article: Copyright © 2003 Dr.A.K.Hignell)
- England in United Arab Emirates 2015/16
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- ICC World Cricket League Championship 2015 to 2017
- New Zealand in Australia 2015/16
- South Africa in India 2015/16
- Sri Lanka in New Zealand 2015/16
- Sri Lanka Women in New Zealand 2015/16
- UAE Associates Matches 2015/16
- West Indies in Australia 2015/16
View all Current Events CLICK HERE