READ, Walter William.
Born at Reigate, Surrey, 23rd November 1855.
Died at Bingham Road, Addiscombe Park, Surrey, 6th January 1907.
Educated at his father's school at Reigate Priory, he was first tried by Surrey, against Yorkshire at The Oval in August 1873, at the age of seventeen. In total he was to play 467 first-class matches between then and 1897, including 366 matches for Surrey and 18 Test Matches. He toured Australia 1882/3 and 1887/8 and South Africa 1891/2. In 1875 he was living at Holmesdale House, Reigate but by 1892 was at Micklefield, Reigate. In 1881 he was appointed assistant secretary of Surrey CCC. and in about 1885 he was admitted as partner to the business of Frederick Wells, auctioneer, surveyor and valuer, of 1 Queen Street, Cheapside, London. From May 1890 he was a member of the M.C.C. He captained England in Test Matches twice. From 1905 until his death he was the Surrey coach.
No trace of him could be found in the 1881 Census.
(Article: Copyright © 2003 Don Ambrose)
- Australia in United Arab Emirates 2014/15
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- New Zealand in United Arab Emirates 2014/15
- South Africa in Australia 2014/15
- South Africa in New Zealand 2014/15
- South Africa Women in Sri Lanka 2014/15
- West Indies in India 2014/15
- West Indies Women in Australia 2014/15
- Zimbabwe in Bangladesh 2014/15
View all Current Events CLICK HERE