WALKER, George Glossop.
Born at Harthill Grange, near Sheffield, Yorkshire, 14th June 1860.
Died at Whitwell, Derbyshire, 11th January 1908.
The son of George Walker, of the Manor House, Whitwell, Derbyshire, farmer, he was educated at Broomback House School, Sheffield, where he learnt his cricket. He first appeared in first class cricket when he played for Derbyshire in 1881. In all he played in 75 first-class matches, 70 of them for Derbyshire. He became a farmer and for many years farmed at Whitwell on the estate of the Duke of Portland.
At the time of the 1881 Census he was at the Manor House, Whitwell, Derbyshire, the home of his father George, aged 46 born Woodhall, Yorkshire, a farmer of 415 acres, employing 9 labourers and 3 boys, and his mother aged 46, born Harthill, Yorkshire. He is unmarried, aged 20, and of no employment, and his sister Mary E. is aged 18 and also unmarried. Henry H. Eadon, aged 18, a land surveyor, is a visitor. There are two domestic servants and two farm labourers also in residence.
(Article: Copyright © 2004 Don Ambrose)
- Afghanistan in Ireland 2016
- Afghanistan in Scotland 2016
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- ICC World Cricket League Championship 2015 to 2017
- India in West Indies 2016
- India in Zimbabwe 2016
- Pakistan in England and Ireland 2016
- Pakistan Women in England 2016
- Sri Lanka in England and Ireland 2016
- West Indies Tri-Series 2016
View all Current Events CLICK HERE