WALKER, George Glossop.
Born at Harthill Grange, near Sheffield, Yorkshire, 14th June 1860.
Died at Whitwell, Derbyshire, 11th January 1908.
The son of George Walker, of the Manor House, Whitwell, Derbyshire, farmer, he was educated at Broomback House School, Sheffield, where he learnt his cricket. He first appeared in first class cricket when he played for Derbyshire in 1881. In all he played in 75 first-class matches, 70 of them for Derbyshire. He became a farmer and for many years farmed at Whitwell on the estate of the Duke of Portland.
At the time of the 1881 Census he was at the Manor House, Whitwell, Derbyshire, the home of his father George, aged 46 born Woodhall, Yorkshire, a farmer of 415 acres, employing 9 labourers and 3 boys, and his mother aged 46, born Harthill, Yorkshire. He is unmarried, aged 20, and of no employment, and his sister Mary E. is aged 18 and also unmarried. Henry H. Eadon, aged 18, a land surveyor, is a visitor. There are two domestic servants and two farm labourers also in residence.
(Article: Copyright © 2004 Don Ambrose)
- Australia in United Arab Emirates 2014/15
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- New Zealand in United Arab Emirates 2014/15
- South Africa in Australia 2014/15
- South Africa in New Zealand 2014/15
- South Africa Women in Sri Lanka 2014/15
- West Indies in India 2014/15
- West Indies Women in Australia 2014/15
- Zimbabwe in Bangladesh 2014/15
View all Current Events CLICK HERE