Born at Sutton-at-Hone, Kent, 9th March 1860.
Died at Leytonstone, Essex, 21st February 1941.
He first went out as a professional cricketer in 1879 at Yalding CC, in 1880 at Erith, early in 1881-2 at Cambridge and later in 1882 at Canterbury. In 1883 he was with the Mote Park CC and from 1884 until 1890 with the MCC at Lordís. From 1891 until 1912 he was coach at Winchester College, in Hampshire. The first of his 168 first-class matches was for Kent in 1880. He played 115 matches for Kent up to 1890 and for Hampshire in 24 matches between 1895 until 1900.
No trace of him could be found in the 1881 Census. At the time of the 1901 Census he is living at 78 Kingsgate Street, Winchester, aged 41, an athletic outfitter and professional cricketer, with his wife Flora E. aged 38, his daughter Florence G. aged 15, and sons James E.E. aged 9, and George H. aged 4. Also present is his father-in-law, Thomas Everest aged 80.
(Article: Copyright © 2004 Don Ambrose)
- Afghanistan in Zimbabwe 2016/17
- Australia in India 2016/17
- Australia Women in New Zealand 2016/17
- Bangladesh in Sri Lanka 2016/17
- England in West Indies 2016/17
- ICC World Cricket League Championship 2015 to 2017
- Ireland in India 2016/17
- Ireland in United Arab Emirates 2016/17
- New Zealand Women in Australia 2016/17
- South Africa in New Zealand 2016/17
- Sri Lanka in Australia 2016/17
View all Current Events CLICK HERE