|Player:||AJ Redmond, BB McCullum, WTS Porterfield|
|Event:||ICC World Twenty20 2009|
DateLine: 12th June 2009
Aaron Redmond's scintillating display of batting against Ireland in his Twenty20 World Cup debut earned him an admirer in stand-in skipper Brendon McCullum.
McCullum described the debutant's outstanding knock as "unbelievable".
Redmond was called to replace an injured Jesse Ryder who is down with abdominal ailment. The right-hander responded in spectacular fashion blasting the Irish attack for a 30-ball 63 which not only made sure the Kiwis win comprehensively by 83 runs but also him the Man of the Match award.
"Redmond played an unbelievable innings. To come in and play an innings like that was simply great," McCullum said.
"To play with so much of freedom is incredible," he added. Redmond himself was elated with his first day first show and showed immense confidence of the team doing well in the tournament.
"Sometimes, when you are taken off the couch and thrown into action, you have a good day. The tournament is open and the boys are doing well," he said.
Meanwhile Irish skipper William Porterfield was evry disappointed with his team's poor show and felt that the four run-outs did not help their cause after a poor display of bowling.
"It surely did not help us. They are a good side, they fielded well and bowled well too," he said.
"The first five overs were crucial. They got away. They fielded really well. They didn't make it easy for us. Our preparation has been good and we will learn a lot from the Super Eights," he said.
- Afghanistan in Zimbabwe 2016/17
- Australia in India 2016/17
- Australia Women in New Zealand 2016/17
- Bangladesh in Sri Lanka 2016/17
- England in West Indies 2016/17
- ICC Women's World Cup Qualifier 2016/17
- ICC World Cricket League Championship 2015 to 2017
- Ireland in India 2016/17
- Ireland in United Arab Emirates 2016/17
- New Zealand Women in Australia 2016/17
- South Africa in New Zealand 2016/17
- Sri Lanka in Australia 2016/17
View all Current Events CLICK HERE