|Player:||A Flintoff, MA Atherton|
|Event:||Australia in British Isles 2009|
DateLine: 14th July 2009
Former England skipper Mike Atherton has said that Andrew Flintoff is as reliable as a second hand car.
Artherton also said that England should not panic over the all-rounder's fitness as according to him Freddie is no more the talisman he was four years ago.
"Whisper it...but the injury to Andrew Flintoff is not necessarily bad news for England.
"That is no longer the kind of heretical statement that would, once upon a time, have brought upon the perpetrator the Inquisition. There is now a general realisation that the talismanic all-rounder of four years ago is not as central to England's success as before," Atherton wrote in 'The Times'.
Atherton compared Fred's body with a second-hand automobile saying that it has become unreliable.
"Like a second-hand car with plenty of miles on the clock, Flintoff's body has become unreliable.
"You can give it as many MOTs as you like...but it is a truism that when you set off on a long journey, you are just not quite sure whether you will reach the destination." .
Atherton also warned against fielding an unfit Flintoff though the bowler has not been completely ruled out from playing in the second Test.
"Where does this (Flintoff's injury) leave England? Not quite in the hole that some imagine," he said.
- Afghanistan in Zimbabwe 2016/17
- Australia in India 2016/17
- Australia Women in New Zealand 2016/17
- Bangladesh in Sri Lanka 2016/17
- England in West Indies 2016/17
- ICC Women's World Cup Qualifier 2016/17
- ICC World Cricket League Championship 2015 to 2017
- Ireland in India 2016/17
- Ireland in United Arab Emirates 2016/17
- New Zealand Women in Australia 2016/17
- South Africa in New Zealand 2016/17
- Sri Lanka in Australia 2016/17
View all Current Events CLICK HERE