|Player:||A Flintoff, MA Atherton|
|Event:||Australia in British Isles 2009|
DateLine: 14th July 2009
Former England skipper Mike Atherton has said that Andrew Flintoff is as reliable as a second hand car.
Artherton also said that England should not panic over the all-rounder's fitness as according to him Freddie is no more the talisman he was four years ago.
"Whisper it...but the injury to Andrew Flintoff is not necessarily bad news for England.
"That is no longer the kind of heretical statement that would, once upon a time, have brought upon the perpetrator the Inquisition. There is now a general realisation that the talismanic all-rounder of four years ago is not as central to England's success as before," Atherton wrote in 'The Times'.
Atherton compared Fred's body with a second-hand automobile saying that it has become unreliable.
"Like a second-hand car with plenty of miles on the clock, Flintoff's body has become unreliable.
"You can give it as many MOTs as you like...but it is a truism that when you set off on a long journey, you are just not quite sure whether you will reach the destination." .
Atherton also warned against fielding an unfit Flintoff though the bowler has not been completely ruled out from playing in the second Test.
"Where does this (Flintoff's injury) leave England? Not quite in the hole that some imagine," he said.
- Asia Cup 2015/16
- Australia in New Zealand 2015/16
- England in South Africa 2015/16
- England Women in South Africa 2015/16
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- ICC World Cricket League Championship 2015 to 2017
- Ireland in Australia 2015/16
- Netherlands in United Arab Emirates 2015/16
- Scotland in United Arab Emirates 2015/16
- Sri Lanka in India 2015/16
- Sri Lanka Women in India 2015/16
- West Indies Women in South Africa 2015/16
View all Current Events CLICK HERE