|Player:||A Flintoff, AC Gilchrist|
|Event:||Australia in British Isles 2009|
DateLine: 17th July 2009
Former Australia wicketkeeper batsman Adam Gilchrist believes that England would do everything to win the Ashes series as a farewell gift to Andrew Flintoff.
Gilchrist also hailed Flintoff and felt it would inspire England to put their best foot forward in the ongoing Ashes.
"I don't think the Aussies will be affected but it can be a boost for the English players," Gilchrist told 'SunSport'.
"I know from my time that a when a great player retired, you did everything you could to see them off with a series win. So England will be up for this Ashes series even more," said the Australian.
Gilchrist also admitted honestly that Flintoff, as an opponent, often made life difficult for him.
"Freddie announcing his retirement means there will be a lot of Test cricketers sleeping easy now. He definitely terrorised me and my team-mates on many occasions," he said.
Gilchrist was of the view that Flintoff, as the premier all-rounder of his era, shouldered more responsibility than his body could endure and paid the price with a premature retirement.
"It's always sad when a player of that calibre retires but his body clearly couldn't cope with the demands. I think Freddie is a victim of his own abilities and skill. He happily took on huge responsibility with the bat and ball," he said.
- Afghanistan in Zimbabwe 2016/17
- Australia in India 2016/17
- Australia Women in New Zealand 2016/17
- Bangladesh in Sri Lanka 2016/17
- England in West Indies 2016/17
- ICC Women's World Cup Qualifier 2016/17
- ICC World Cricket League Championship 2015 to 2017
- Ireland in India 2016/17
- Ireland in United Arab Emirates 2016/17
- New Zealand Women in Australia 2016/17
- South Africa in New Zealand 2016/17
- Sri Lanka in Australia 2016/17
View all Current Events CLICK HERE