|Player:||PJ Hughes, SR Watson|
|Event:||Australia in British Isles 2009|
DateLine: 30th July 2009
In a surprising move, Australia have left out Phillip Hughes from their starting XI for the third Ashes Test at Edgbaston.
As reported in 'The Australian', the left-hander makes way for Shane Watson after having failed failed to amass any big total till now in the series.
Hughes scores have been a paltry 36, 4 and 17 at Cardiff and Lord's against hosts England, and then 10 and 68 in the recent tour match against Northamptonshire.
Whether or not Watson will open the batting or will just be a replacement is not yet decided.
Watson, who has experienced moderate success batting higher in the order for Queensland, has fared better opening the batting for the Australian one-day side.
Hughes had entered England dressing room amid much hype, following his brilliant tour of South Africa (415 runs at 69.16) and an equally successful stint with Middlesex (574 runs at 143.50).
Hughes achieved the latter feat in just five innings, including three centuries, bettering Don Bradman's impressive start to his maiden first-class stint in England - 566 runs in five innings in 1930.
- Asia Cup 2015/16
- Australia in New Zealand 2015/16
- Australia Women in New Zealand 2015/16
- England in South Africa 2015/16
- England Women in South Africa 2015/16
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- ICC World Cricket League Championship 2015 to 2017
- Ireland in Australia 2015/16
- Sri Lanka in India 2015/16
- Sri Lanka Women in India 2015/16
- West Indies Women in South Africa 2015/16
View all Current Events CLICK HERE