|Player:||A Flintoff, AJ Strauss|
|Event:||Australia in British Isles 2009|
DateLine: 10th August 2009
England skipper is hoping to make an early decision on Andrew Flintoff's fitness ahead of the final Ashes Test at the Oval next week.
Flintoff who is set to retire from Test cricket at the end of the series, had to sit out of the fourth Test at Headingley after failing to prove his fitness.
The situation did not do much to help England's chaotic preparations at Headingley, and skipper Andrew Strauss is hoping the issue will be decided more swiftly next time around.
"Hopefully we're in a better situation to get a result earlier for the final Test," Strauss said.
"On the back of Edgbaston, it was impossible to know too far out from this game whether he would be fit enough and it was unfortunate he wasn't quite fit enough.
"It will involve constant monitoring from the medical team again about how he's feeling - and his state of mind is going to be important as well - and hopefully we'll know two or three days out from the Test match whether he's fit enough to play or not.
"He was bitterly disappointed here but obviously the decision was made having spoken to him and what he felt his level of fitness was.
"He understood the situation completely clearly and I think he was very honest as to how fit he felt for this game.
"He's still desperate to play in that final Test but he realises he's got to be fit enough."
- Afghanistan in Zimbabwe 2016/17
- Australia in India 2016/17
- Australia Women in New Zealand 2016/17
- Bangladesh in Sri Lanka 2016/17
- England in West Indies 2016/17
- ICC Women's World Cup Qualifier 2016/17
- ICC World Cricket League Championship 2015 to 2017
- Ireland in India 2016/17
- Ireland in United Arab Emirates 2016/17
- New Zealand Women in Australia 2016/17
- South Africa in New Zealand 2016/17
- Sri Lanka in Australia 2016/17
View all Current Events CLICK HERE