|Player:||A Flintoff, AJ Strauss|
|Event:||Australia in British Isles 2009|
DateLine: 24th August 2009
The English skipper Andrew Strauss described his side's historic Ashes victory as a 'special moment' after leading his team to a 197-run win at the Brit Oval, regaining the urn from their arch-rivals in the process.
He was still quick to laud the efforts of his team-mates throughout the series.
"This is a special moment for all of us," Strauss told after the match.
"The players have had to dig pretty deep. It's been a very, very hard series. They've had to show a hell of a lot of character and determination and fight."
Strauss paid tribute to all of the players that have represented the country over the five Tests, believing that all the squad members should be proud of the 2-1 series triumph.
"Not only those guys (but) the guys that have played in this series as well: Kevin Pietersen, Graham Onions, Monty Panesar and it's a special moment. It hasn't sunk in but it's a very special moment for us," he added.
Strauss conceded that there were times when England were simply not up to the task, but believed his side pulled through in the crucial moments with aplomb.
He paid glowing tribute to team director Andy Flower and also sent a goodbye message to all-rounder Andrew Flintoff, who retired from Test cricket at the end of the series.
"As for Freddie well, we're going to miss him, there's no doubt about that," he admitted.
"He's been an incredible player for England, a great advert for the game of cricket and it just won't quite be the same without him."
- Asia Cup 2015/16
- Australia in New Zealand 2015/16
- England in South Africa 2015/16
- England Women in South Africa 2015/16
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- ICC World Cricket League Championship 2015 to 2017
- Ireland in Australia 2015/16
- Netherlands in United Arab Emirates 2015/16
- Scotland in United Arab Emirates 2015/16
- Sri Lanka in India 2015/16
- Sri Lanka Women in India 2015/16
- West Indies Women in South Africa 2015/16
View all Current Events CLICK HERE