DateLine: 2nd December 2009
Scottish cricket was in mourning Tuesday following the death of Pakistan-born bowler Asim Butt at the age of 42.
Cricket Scotland announced that Butt, a left-arm bowler who played 71 matches for his adopted country after settling in Edinburgh, died in his sleep during a visit to his native Lahore.
Scotland team manager Euan McGregor said everyone involved in the game in Scotland had been devastated by the loss of such a popular figure at a tragically young age.
Butt had not been ill before his sudden death, he added. "He was across in Pakistan for a holiday and apparently died in his sleep yesterday (Monday) morning.
"He had an operation a few years back for a blood clot on his brain, but he was fine after that and came back and played cricket."
(Article: Copyright © 2009 AFP)
- Afghanistan in United Arab Emirates 2014/15
- England in Sri Lanka 2014/15
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- India in Australia 2014/15
- New Zealand in United Arab Emirates 2014/15
- South Africa in Australia 2014/15
- South Africa Women in India 2014/15
- West Indies in South Africa 2014/15
- Zimbabwe in Bangladesh 2014/15
View all Current Events CLICK HERE