|Player:||PJ Hughes, RT Ponting|
|Event:||Pakistan in Australia 2009/10|
DateLine: 22nd December 2009
Left-handed opener Phillip Hughes has earned a call-up as cover for the Australian captain for the Boxing Day Test against Pakistan.
Hughes, who has not played a Test since being dropped after two games in the Ashes series earlier this year, would replace Ponting in the playing eleven if the skipper does not recover in time from his left elbow injury suffered during the third Test against West Indies in Perth.
The 21-year-old Hughes was included in the squad after his recent good form, which included a century against Victoria in Newcastle.
The Australian team physiotherapist Alex Kountouris said Ponting's participation in the Boxing Day Test was still uncertain.
"Ricky Ponting is having ongoing treatment today for his left elbow injury. We'll need to wait until he bats at training later in the week to determine his fitness for the Test match," he said.
Peter Siddle was also included in the 13-man squad after missing the WACA Test with a hamstring injury, while fellow quick Ben Hilfenhaus misses out again following a knee problem that ruled him out of the final two Tests against West Indies.
Squad : Ricky Ponting, Michael Clarke, Doug Bollinger, Brad Haddin (wk), Nathan Hauritz, Phillip Hughes, Mike Hussey, Mitchell Johnson, Simon Katich, Clint McKay, Marcus North, Peter Siddle, Shane Watson.
- Afghanistan in Zimbabwe 2016/17
- Australia in India 2016/17
- Australia Women in New Zealand 2016/17
- Bangladesh in Sri Lanka 2016/17
- England in West Indies 2016/17
- ICC Women's World Cup Qualifier 2016/17
- ICC World Cricket League Championship 2015 to 2017
- Ireland in India 2016/17
- Ireland in United Arab Emirates 2016/17
- New Zealand Women in Australia 2016/17
- South Africa in New Zealand 2016/17
- Sri Lanka in Australia 2016/17
View all Current Events CLICK HERE