M.C.C. v Scotland 20 & 21 August 1934
by Cricket Scotland

Ground:Lord's Cricket Ground, St John's Wood
Scorecard:Marylebone Cricket Club v Scotland
Event:Scotland in England 1934

DateLine: 30th January 2013




Day 1:
A.D. Baxter, the Lancashire fast bowler, who was Scotland's main hope in attack, was unable to extract any life from the pitch at the start of the two day match against the M.C.C. at Lord's yesterday. He kept an accurate length, but, largely owing to his inability to make the ball "lift," failed to take a wicket during three spells before lunch, and had only one in the innings.


No doubt a strong wind, which frequently removed the bails at both ends, troubled the M.C.C. batsmen, but it scarcely accounted for their general lack of enterprise against bowling, which, if always steady, never appeared deadly in the early stages.


Hamilton, the Army batsman, spent two hours and twenty minutes over his first 50, while Watkins, the Middlesex professional, defended stubbornly for four runs in thirty minutes, and stayed another hour for a further 41.


J.H. Human, the Cambridge University captain, hit five 4's during the brightest display of the day, and he and Hamilton added 113 runs in seventy minutes for the fourth wicket. Hamilton's century, made in three hours and forty minutes, included a 5 and four 4's. M.C.C. declared after scoring 298 for seven wickets in four hours and twenty five minutes.


The bails, dispensed with for some time after lunch, were restored when Scotland went in. The visitors made a poor start, Dempster, the New Zealander, falling to a fine catch low down at the wicket, with only four extras on the board. MacPherson, the Edinburgh University player, and Gibb, better known as a member of Sir. Julien Cahn's eleven, then improved matters with a bright second wicket stand, 50 going up in as many minutes.


Gibb left to a simple return catch at 74, and a run later MacPherson was bowled after batting in confident fashion for seventy five minutes. Pedder then cleverly stumped McLeish, and three wickets had fallen in less than ten minutes for three runs.


When stumps were drawn soon afterwards, Scotland, with four wickets down for 85 were still 213 behind with six wickets in hand.


Day 2:
Scotland who resumed their first innings 213 runs behind with six wickets in hand, fared so badly for a time yesterday at Lord's that five more wickets fell in eighty minutes for an addition of 72 runs.


Most of the batsmen revealed a lack of confidence when the covered up against the right arm slows of Butterworth and Hamilton, and the faster deliveries of Edrich and Wignall and Jones, Smith, and McTavish were all leg-before through mistiming the ball.


Actually 42 runs were required to save the follow-on when Anderson and Baxter came together for the last wicket, but they saved the situation with the most entertaining cricket of the innings. Refusing to play for safety, they added 67 runs in forty minutes before Baxter was caught in the slips. Anderson, who hit four 4's, took out his bat after a resolute display, marked by powerful driving on either side of the wicket.


Brilliant batting by Human proved the main feature before the M.C.C. declared at 151 for two in their second innings, leaving Scotland 226 runs for victory.


Scotland experienced a misfortune at the start of their second innings when Dempster, their best batsman, was struck in the face while trying to hook a short pitched ball from Edrich. Assisted off the field with a badly cut cheek, which necessitated the use of plaster, he did not resume until after the fall of the fifth wicket.


McTavish alone of the early batsmen offered much resistance to the bowling, and half the side were dismissed in eighty minutes for 74.


Despite his injury, Dempster played stylish cricket, and scored readily off all the bowlers, but at half past six eighth wickets were down for 151.


Dempster saved Scotland in the end, and received valuable assistance from Farquhar in playing through the last half hour. At seven o'clock, when Scotland had scored 209 for eight wickets, the match was left drawn. Dempster batted an hour and twenty minutes for his not out 85.

(Article: Copyright © 2013 Cricket Scotland


| Privacy Policy | FAQs | Contact |
Copyright © 2003-2019 CricketArchive