|Ground:||Harare Sports Club, Harare|
|Event:||Videocon Tri-Series 2005/06|
DateLine: 4th September 2005
Zimbabwe put on a good batting display when they set India 251 runs to win in the last of a series of ODI matches played at Harare Sports Club here Sunday.
It was widely expected that the Zimbabweans, who are in the middle of a dispute with their management, might succumb easily to the Indian bowlers because of the distraction.
India captain Sourav Ganguly probably thought that when he sent in the home side to bat after winning the toss.
But it turned out to be an African spectacular with skipper Tatenda Taibu engineering a recovery from early losses with 72, Charles Coventry slamming bowlers all around the ground for 74 and Andy Blignaut making 41.
At one point, Zimbabwe had lost two wickets for just four runs but Taibu, Coventry and Blignaut brushed aside the early setbacks and produced a rush of boundaries.
Taibu hit 71 in 97 balls and with Coventry put on 116 for the fourth wicket.
Then Coventry, who made his highest score in one-day internationals and his first half century, and Blignaut excelled in a partnership worth 66 runs in 47 balls.
It was the highest Zimbabwe score of the tournament with their previous best being 205 against New Zealand.
Meanwhile a row over contracts between Zimbabwe Cricket and their players was threatening to develop into the kind of ugly strike that brought cricket to its knees here 18 months ago.
(Article: Copyright © 2005 AFP)
- Asia Cup 2015/16
- Australia in New Zealand 2015/16
- England in South Africa 2015/16
- England Women in South Africa 2015/16
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- ICC World Cricket League Championship 2015 to 2017
- India in Australia 2015/16
- India Women in Australia 2015/16
- Netherlands in United Arab Emirates 2015/16
- Pakistan in New Zealand 2015/16
- Scotland in Hong Kong 2015/16
- Scotland in United Arab Emirates 2015/16
- Sri Lanka in India 2015/16
View all Current Events CLICK HERE