|Player:||BC Lara, RS Dravid, M Muralitharan|
DateLine: 16th June 2006
Brian Lara, Rahul Dravid and Muttiah Muralitharan are among the big names that have committed to playing for an International XI in a fund-raiser for victims of the Pakistan earthquake, organisers said Friday.
The star-packed side will take on Pakistan at the Oval on July 10 in a Twenty20 match with all proceeds to go to those who have suffered as a result of the quake which struck northern Pakistan last October.
The quake killed more than 70,000 people and left hundreds of thousands homeless.
The match is being hosted by English county Surrey, whose chief executive, Paul Sheldon, praised the big names for their commitment to the cause.
"The likes of Lara and Muralitharan are huge draw cards, worth the admission prices alone," Sheldon said. "So we're expecting a big crowd to come along and watch what should be a hugely entertaining match."
The match will raise money for the Oval Cricket Relief Trust, which last year raised over one million pounds for victims of the Indian Ocean Tsunami. Approximately 10,000 tickets have already been sold for the match.
List of confirmed players for International XI:
Rahul Dravid (captain), Mahendra Singh Dhoni (wicket-keeper), Brian Lara, Muttiah Muralitharan, Makhaya Ntini, Azhar Mahmood, Chris Cairns, Andrew Hall, Darren Gough, Mohammed Akram.
(Article: Copyright © 2006 AFP)
- Asia Cup 2015/16
- Australia in New Zealand 2015/16
- England in South Africa 2015/16
- England Women in South Africa 2015/16
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- ICC World Cricket League Championship 2015 to 2017
- India in Australia 2015/16
- India Women in Australia 2015/16
- Netherlands in United Arab Emirates 2015/16
- Pakistan in New Zealand 2015/16
- Scotland in Hong Kong 2015/16
- Scotland in United Arab Emirates 2015/16
- Sri Lanka in India 2015/16
View all Current Events CLICK HERE