|Player:||ME Trescothick, A Flintoff, MP Vaughan, AJ Strauss|
DateLine: 1st July 2006
England’s selectors have said they do not know who will replace injured captain Michael Vaughan while the Yorkshireman attempts to return from a fourth knee injury.
The news that Vaughan will undergo yet another operation on his right knee on Monday, ruling him out for four to six months, has forced the selectors to consider an alternative captain for the rest of this summer at least.
However Andrew Flintoff is currently out with an ankle problem and Andrew Strauss has led a side decimated by injuries to four successive one-day defeats against Sri Lanka.
The situation means that the selectors face a difficult decision. Coach Duncan Fletcher said: "From my point of view I just want the best person for the team and we'll be deciding that before the first Test."
Meanwhile, the chairman of selectors David Graveney explained they would not be rushed into a decision: “We won’t be making any quick decisions about who is going to lead the side in the winter because at the moment we don't know. Until the situation becomes clearer later in the summer we won't be looking at that issue. We need to get as much information as possible about the injured players before we consider anyone."
An alternative could be Marcus Trescothick who has filled in on occasions.
- Afghanistan in Zimbabwe 2015/16
- Bangladesh Women in Pakistan 2015/16
- England in United Arab Emirates 2015/16
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- ICC World Cricket League Championship 2015 to 2017
- Ireland in Zimbabwe 2015/16
- Pakistan in Zimbabwe 2015/16
- Pakistan Women in West Indies and United States of America 2015/16
- South Africa in India 2015/16
- West Indians in Sri Lanka 2015/16
View all Current Events CLICK HERE