|Player:||JM Buchanan, SK Warne, TJ Jenner, PA Emery, AC Gilchrist|
DateLine: 25th September 2006
Australian cricketers have gone in to bat for coach John Buchanan amid criticism by champion leg-spinner Shane Warne of his relevance to the team.
British tabloid The Sun quoted Warne this month as saying Buchanan deserved few plaudits for Australia’s world cricket domination. He also reportedly suggested the team didn’t need a coach at all.
Former Australian fast bowler Damien Fleming said the legendary leg-spinner valued coaches noting that Terry Jenner has been Warne's mentor for two decades.
“Warney has been saying what he thinks about coaches but he's got a very important mentor in Jenner,” Fleming said. “Coaches and mentors are very important whether it is for a team or an individual.”
Warne and Jenner, a former Australian Test leg-spinner, forged a strong bond from Warne's earliest days at the cricket academy in Adelaide during the late 1980s.
Vice-captain Adam Gilchrist, who is resting from the limited-overs tournament in Malaysia, has no doubt that Buchanan has made an enormous impact on the team during his seven-year reign.
"Some of his methods did confuse some players and I'm sure there are players over time who haven't taken well to the way he works and that's fine - we're all different people," said Gilchrist.
- Afghanistan in Bangladesh 2016/17
- Australia in South Africa 2016/17
- Australia Women in Sri Lanka 2016/17
- England in Bangladesh 2016/17
- England Women in West Indies 2016/17
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- Ireland in South Africa 2016/17
- New Zealand in India 2016/17
- New Zealand Women in South Africa 2016/17
- West Indies in United Arab Emirates 2016/17
View all Current Events CLICK HERE