|Player:||HH Gibbs, WJ Cronje|
DateLine: 6th October 2006
South African batsman Herschelle Gibbs is likely to be questioned by Indian police over a 2000 match-fixing scandal during the Champions Trophy that starts on Saturday.
The 32-year-old, who has played 79 Tests, had admitted accepting money from disgraced former captain Hansie Cronje to score fewer than 20 runs against India in a one-dayer during their 2000 March-April tour. He subsequently scored 74 runs and said he had forgotten about his deal, but was suspended and fined.
As Gibbs is a co-accused his questioning by us is logical, said a police official handling the case.
Gibbs is scheduled to arrive in Mumbai accompanied by a South African lawyer on October 10, four days after the rest of the South African squad.
Police said if necessary he could be asked to travel to the Indian capital for questioning.
- Afghanistan in Bangladesh 2016/17
- Australia in South Africa 2016/17
- Australia Women in Sri Lanka 2016/17
- England in Bangladesh 2016/17
- England Women in West Indies 2016/17
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- Ireland in South Africa 2016/17
- New Zealand in India 2016/17
- New Zealand Women in South Africa 2016/17
- West Indies in United Arab Emirates 2016/17
View all Current Events CLICK HERE