|Player:||HH Gibbs, WJ Cronje|
DateLine: 6th October 2006
South African batsman Herschelle Gibbs is likely to be questioned by Indian police over a 2000 match-fixing scandal during the Champions Trophy that starts on Saturday.
The 32-year-old, who has played 79 Tests, had admitted accepting money from disgraced former captain Hansie Cronje to score fewer than 20 runs against India in a one-dayer during their 2000 March-April tour. He subsequently scored 74 runs and said he had forgotten about his deal, but was suspended and fined.
As Gibbs is a co-accused his questioning by us is logical, said a police official handling the case.
Gibbs is scheduled to arrive in Mumbai accompanied by a South African lawyer on October 10, four days after the rest of the South African squad.
Police said if necessary he could be asked to travel to the Indian capital for questioning.
- Afghanistan in Ireland 2016
- Afghanistan in Scotland 2016
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- ICC World Cricket League Championship 2015 to 2017
- India in West Indies 2016
- India in Zimbabwe 2016
- Pakistan in England and Ireland 2016
- Pakistan Women in England 2016
- Sri Lanka in England and Ireland 2016
- West Indies Tri-Series 2016
View all Current Events CLICK HERE