|Event:||ICC World Cup 2006/07|
DateLine: 2nd March 2007
West Indies legendary all-rounder Sir Garfield Sobers will officially open the 2007 World Cup, organisers said on Friday.
The 70-year-old Sobers will open the 16-team event in Jamaica on March 11.
"It's a great honour to declare the Cricket World Cup open. I'm taking it in my stride and I'm looking forward to the occasion," said Sobers from his home in Barbados.
The former West Indies skipper said he was excited that cricket's showpiece event was coming to the region for the first time.
"It will be phenomenal for the Caribbean, especially for those people who haven't had the opportunity to see a Cricket World Cup. It will be a fantastic experience."
(Article: Copyright © 2007 AFP)
- Afghanistan in Bangladesh 2016/17
- Australia in South Africa 2016/17
- Australia Women in Sri Lanka 2016/17
- England in Bangladesh 2016/17
- England Women in West Indies 2016/17
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- Ireland in South Africa 2016/17
- New Zealand in India 2016/17
- New Zealand Women in South Africa 2016/17
- West Indies in United Arab Emirates 2016/17
View all Current Events CLICK HERE