|Event:||ICC World Cup 2006/07|
DateLine: 2nd March 2007
West Indies legendary all-rounder Sir Garfield Sobers will officially open the 2007 World Cup, organisers said on Friday.
The 70-year-old Sobers will open the 16-team event in Jamaica on March 11.
"It's a great honour to declare the Cricket World Cup open. I'm taking it in my stride and I'm looking forward to the occasion," said Sobers from his home in Barbados.
The former West Indies skipper said he was excited that cricket's showpiece event was coming to the region for the first time.
"It will be phenomenal for the Caribbean, especially for those people who haven't had the opportunity to see a Cricket World Cup. It will be a fantastic experience."
(Article: Copyright © 2007 AFP)
- Afghanistan in Ireland 2016
- Afghanistan in Scotland 2016
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- ICC World Cricket League Championship 2015 to 2017
- India in West Indies 2016
- India in Zimbabwe 2016
- Pakistan in England and Ireland 2016
- Pakistan Women in England 2016
- Sri Lanka in England and Ireland 2016
- West Indies Tri-Series 2016
View all Current Events CLICK HERE