Scotland v Australia 27, 28 & 29 July 1882
by Cricket Scotland

Ground:Raeburn Place, Edinburgh
Scorecard:Scotland v Australians
Event:Australia in British Isles 1882

DateLine: 31st January 2013




Day 1:
The most important cricket match which has yet taken place in Scotland was begun at Raeburn Place yesterday. More than usual interest attached to the event from the fact of its being the first match in which a bona-fide team of Scottish gentlemen has met the invincible cricketers from the antipodes. The present is the fourth visit which the Australians have made to Scotland since 1878. In the first match the Australians beat a strong West of Scotland Twelve at Partick by an innings and 84 runs. In 1880 an Eighteen of Glasgow and district made a favourable draw against the invincible strangers, who were made to 'follow on' for the second time during their entire tour. J.G. Walker (Loretto and Oxford University) on that occasion made the second highest biggest innings which had been scored against the team. A week later the Gentlemen of Scotland were tackled at Raeburn Place, and defeated by six wickets. The principal scorers on that occasion were A.G. Steel ( 3 and 60). Hon. Ivo Bligh (30 and 7), Lieutenant Davidson, Craigmount F.P. (41 and 1); A.L. Wood R.H.S. (5 and 35); and J.A. Allan (35 and 4.)


The day's play is fully noticed below; suffice it to say that Murdoch as usual played grand cricket for his chanceless score of 58 and that the fielding of the Australians so far was simply superb. The Scotch fielding at the start was not what might have been expected, though towards the end it was almost faultless. P Thompson simply justified his selection, as his wonderful analysis shows. When stumps were drawn for the day, the game was left in an interesting stage; and if the Scotchmen can save the "follow on," there will be some rare cricket witnessed today and tomorrow. In any case, the team can hardly make a worse show than the Gentlemen of England.


Play will be resumed today at noon, when by permission of Colonel his Grace the Duke of Buccleuch and officers, the band of the 3rd Battalion Royal Scots will attend. The game, it may be added, was witnessed by several thousand spectators, while the arrangements of the Scottish Cricket Union and their hon. Secretary (Mr GL Crole advocate) were deserving of the warmest commendation.


Spofforth the "demon" bowler did not again play, while A Bannerman ( a Forfarshire man by the way, and one of the steadiest men in the team) was an onlooker. In honour of their visit, the Edinburgh Australian Club are to entertain the team to dinner in the Waterloo hotel this evening. The play was decidedly interesting, as will be seen from the following run of the game.


Winning the toss, the Australians elected to bat. Messrs Murdoch (the captain) and Massie first defended the wickets against the bowling of Messrs J. Craig and P Thompson. Craig's first ball was nicely cut for a single by Massie, and from the second last ball of the over Murdoch had a neat draw to leg for a brace. Thompson's first over realised three runs through a nice drive from Massie. A few more balls sufficed to bring out 10. Some fine play both to the off and on ensued till 20 was telegraphed, and at 24 Craig sent up a ball which fairly beat Massie as it twisted from the leg side and took the New South Wales man's wicket. Mr T Horan filled the vacancy, the Victorian having considerable difficulty in playing John Craig's puzzlers. Hay-Brown was then tried, Horan opening by putting Thompson to leg for a brace. Both batsmen now settled down and D Brown was tried. The Dunfermline man opened with a brace of maidens, and in his seventh over got Horan held at 69. P McDonnell now joined his captain, and the first ball after from Brown he hit for a couple, which a bad shy at the wickets converted into a six hit. A. Pearson next took the ball and when the lunch ball rang the score stood at 86 for two wickets, of which Murdoch was 38 not out.


Play was resumed a few minutes after three, Murdoch bringing out 90 by a nice hit to leg for 4. McDonnell then gave a difficult chance in the slips, which Pearson tried well for amid cheers. The second ball after, McDonnell put another chance into Pearson's hands which he declined to accept. Runs came slowly till 99, when Craig went on and opened with a couple of maiden overs, but in his third McDonnell cracked him nicely to the on for 4, and brought out the 100.


Walker was cheered for a fine bit of fielding which gave only a single for what would have been a 4. In Craig's subsequent over McDonnell drove him high to the on, but the catch was magnificently judged and held by the old Loretto captain and Oxonian amid cheers. Three for 107. McDonnell's 17 was got by lucky cricket. G Giffen filled the vacancy but the N.S.W. man skied one to leg, which Hay-Brown easily held. Four for 107.


The famous wicket-keeper of the team (Blackham) came next, and after a couple of singles got Craig to leg for 3. At 115 however, Blackham was cleverly held behind the sticks amid cheers. Standing as he does 6 feet 4 inches G.J. Bonnor is not unnaturally termed the giant of the team. He opened with a single, but at 118 "How's that" from half-a-dozen voices got a favourable response from Rowbotham-making six wickets down.


G Jones came next, and began with a single, when several brilliant bits of fielding on the part of Walker, McCormick, and Dr Cotterill were deservedly cheered. Another smart bit of fielding at wickets got rid of the Australian captain at 129, to which he had contributed a faultless 58, made up of two 4's, four 3's, eight 2's, and singles. After being joined by Garrett, Jones cut Craig prettily for a brace, Garrett opening his account by a drive to the on for 3, and singles following from Jones till a grand catch of Craig in slips got rid of a most dangerous batsman in Garrett, amid great cheers.


Boyle succeeded, and soon after Jones sent one hard back to Craig, which he failed to hold, but the ball went to Pearson at the on. He sent it to Craig, who got the wicket down, but the Scottish umpire gave it not out. In Thompson's subsequent over, however Jones was prettily bowled by a ball pitched on the leg, which carried away his off stump. Nine for 144. G Palmer drove his first to the on for 4. His next ball he cut for a brace, and then put Thompson to leg for another 4. A splendid ball from Thompson ultimately spread Boyle's wickets at 159, leaving Palmer not out with 12.


The captain and Hay-Brown led the Scottish defence- Messrs Palmer and Boyle bowling. Balfour opened the hitting by a magnificent leg hit out of the ground for 4. He then had a single, and put Boyle prettily through the slips for 3, then drove Palmer to the on for a brace. Another lofty hit from Balfour to the on brought 10 on the telegraph board. Hay-Brown then got a risky one through the slips for a single, and after another single he lost Balfour, who, in attempting to hit to leg, was caught behind the wickets by Bonnor at 15, of which he had scored 13.


Dr Cotterill came next, and runs came slowly for a time till 17 was reached, when Hay-Brown was bowled. J.G. Walker, who came next, cut his first ball for a single, and then drove Boyle for a brace, which brought out 20 on the telegraph board, when Palmer bowled Cotterill by a ball which broke a foot from the off. Three for 20.


Mr T.R. Fleming succeeded, and ran a couple of singles for Walker before the Oxonian drove Boyle nicely overhead to the ditch for 4. Fleming then got a couple of singles, through his partner's judgement, after refusing them. After 30 was signalled, Fleming lifted Boyle high between square-leg and mid on. Just after 40 was signalled, Walker was grandly held off a hard cut at point. Four for 40. W.R. McCormick came next, and saw Fleming play on at 42. A Pearson succeeded, and played his first ball to sharp mid off, where it was held by Palmer. Time was then called, and Wood will join McCormick today.


Day 2:
This match was resumed and concluded at Raeburn Place yesterday. Rain fell heavily during the night, but fortunately it held off during the morning and before play was started the wicket had dried considerably and did not "kick" so much as at the close of Thursday's play.


The result, as will be seen from the run of the game, was decidedly disappointing, and ended in the Australians winning by an innings and 18 runs. Wood was clearly put in far too late in the innings, or a different result might have ensued, judging by his steady play in the first innings and his brilliant hitting in the second. Mr Balfour played in his best form, while Dr Cotterill seemed fairly set when he was held in the slips.


The others cut up badly, though it is fair to state that Palmer was simply unplayable on a wicket which suited him to a nicety. As on the Thursday the Australian fielding, despite one or two slips, was the feature of the match. At the special request of the Scottish Cricket Union, through their hon. Secretary (Mr Crole) the Australians will play the first return match during the present tour today, when, by kind permission of the Colonel Officers, the band of the 3rd Battalion Royal Scots will again be present during this afternoon.


There was an attendance of several thousands during the afternoon, the grand stand and pavilion enclosure containing leading representatives from the College of Justice, University, clergy, and some of the most prominent cricketers of the last dozen years. The band of the Royal Scots played a choice selection of music which added considerably to the interest of the proceedings to a strong gathering of the fair sex.


A hearty cheer was awarded the Australian captain when he entered the field fifteen minutes after twelve, with the score 43 for 6 wickets, McCormick the not out the previous evening, taking the place at the wickets with A.L. Wood. Palmer opened with a maiden over to the Clydesdale man, while Wood stood one from Boyle. McCormick drove Palmer for a single to the on, and then got Boyle to leg for a brace, driving him in the subsequent over high to the off for a like figure. Wood gave a hard chance at point before he put Palmer away for a single and then McCormick brought out 50 by a nice cut for 2.


Several singles followed before 56 was reached, when McCormick was smartly held at point. P. Thompson came next and ran some neat hits for his partner and a couple for himself before he was bowled by a 'yorker' at 61. J. Craig succeeded and was held in slips at the same figure. Eight and nine for 61, D. Brown brought up the rear, and got bowled, leaving Wood not out with 8 and the total but 67, which necessitated a "follow on".


After the usual interval, Messrs Balfour and Wood began the second innings for Scotland-Garrett taking the place of Boyle in the bowling. Balfour opened with a hit to leg for 3, which, with some good hits from Wood early brought 10 on the board. Wood then drove Palmer for a brace, and put the succeeding ball prettily square for 4, which brought out 20 amid cheers. After five singles, Balfour played Garrett nicely to the off for 3 and then drove Palmer high to mid on for 3. He then drove Garrett to the on beyond the ropes for another 4, amid great cheering. Wood next drove Palmer to the on for 4 and between square leg and mid on for 3 which brought the total to 42, when Boyle relieved Garrett.


The change early proved effectual as after Balfour had again cracked Palmer to the on for another 4, Wood played the first ball of the new bowler's second over softly to mid-off with the score on 46, of which the out-goer had a hard hit up 22. Hay-Brown came next, but before another run had been got Balfour was bowled. One and two for 46. P. Thompson succeeded but lost Hay-Brown before another run had been scored when the lunch bell rang.


After resuming, J.G. Walker joined Thompson, but in Boyle's third over the Oxonian was fairly beat. One, two, three, and four wickets for 46. Dr Cotterill filled the vacancy, and after a two bye had a neat one to leg for another brace, and 50 was signalled, but at 51 Thompson tipped one which Bonnor easily captured in slips. T. Fleming came next, and then the Doctor drove Boyle to the off for a brace, and had his favourite hit to square leg over the ropes for 4.


In Boyle's subsequent over Dr Cotterill drove him again to the off for 3, which gave Fleming the bowling. Opening with a nice hit to square leg, which good fielding only gave him a single for, Fleming snicked his next for a brace and then Cotterill gave an easy chance in the slips which was accepted. McCormick filled the vacancy but played over one of Palmer's at 67.


Pearson had hardly got in when Fleming hit at a ball which bowled his middle stump. J. Craig came next and lost a couple of easy singles before he ran a nice 2 off Pearson to leg. Pearson next drove Boyle to the off for 3 which brought him round to Palmer who clean bowled him-making nine wickets down for 73. D. Brown was last man, and Craig was very cleverly stumped at 74 leaving the Australians victors by an innings and 18 runs.


Play will be resumed in the return match today at noon.

(Article: Copyright © 2013 Cricket Scotland


| Privacy Policy | FAQs | Contact |
Copyright © 2003-2022 CricketArchive