Scotland v Gloucestershire 9, 10 & 11 July 1891
by Cricket Scotland

Ground:Raeburn Place, Edinburgh
Scorecard:Scotland v Gloucestershire
Event:Gloucestershire in Scotland 1891

DateLine: 2nd February 2013




Day 1:
Yesterday saw a start made at the Grange Ground, Raeburn Place, Edinburgh, with this important contest, which for some time past had created exceptional interest in Scottish Cricket circles. Fortunately, the weather was of the most magnificent character, and this, with the presence of Dr W.C. Grace drew out one of the largest and most fashionable attendances probably ever seen at a cricket match in Edinburgh.


The Scottish Committee of Selection - Messrs Asher, Carrick, and N. Watt - had been fortunate enough to get together a thoroughly representative team for Scotland, including Gregor MacGregor (who is generally regarded as the finest wicket-keeper of the day.) On the visiting side the champion was a prominent figure, while the well-known Australian bowler, Ferris, who is now qualifying for Gloucestershire County, made his first appearance in Edinburgh.


Special arrangements had been made for the reception of a large crowd, a couple of stands at the north and south ends of the field had been largely taken advantage of. Terry, as usual, had been at considerable pains with the wicket, which looked in perfect condition. After the recent rains, however, it was all, at the outset at least, in favour of the bowlers.


Dr Grace, therefore, had a slice of luck in winnings the toss, which he took advantage of by compelling his opponents to bat. That he was well advised in so doing was amply testified by the result, for the batsmen were practically at the mercy of the bowlers, Grace and Ferris, who simply did as they liked with the ball. Backed up by good fielding and excellent wicket-keeping, the two, who bowled unchanged throughout, got rid of their opponents for the small total of 54.


Asher was the only player who offered any serious resistance, his score of 21 being put together in really excellent style. R.H. Johnston, who was left not out, played very pluckily. With the wicket getting better every minute, the visitors, had little difficulty in passing the total of their opponents, and when the last wicket fell at 5.30, 161 had been realised.


R.J. Pope was top scorer with a very stylish innings of 46, closely followed by Fox with 33. Grace who went in fifth wicket down, only contributed 17, much to the disappointment of the spectators.


Play will be resumed at noon today, when, under more favourable conditions, it may be expected that the Scottish eleven will greatly improve on their performance of yesterday. The following will show the run of the game:-


Grace won the toss, and after examination of the wicket-which was in a drying condition-decided to send his opponents in. At 12.20, therefore the visitors took the field, the champion being loudly cheered on making his appearance. Pride and Marshall opened for Scotland, Ferris (left-hand medium pace) and Grace sharing the attack.


A most disastrous start was made, the Perthshire representative getting out, caught at point from the Australian's first ball. Asher joined Marshall and the two played steadily but with eight runs on the board a smart catch at wickets sent back the veteran Grange player.


J.S. Robertson and Asher were next associated, the last named eliciting loud cheers by a pretty cut off Ferris, the first boundary of the day. Asher continued to pay special attention to Ferris, for in his next over he scored nine, including a sweet cut and a hard drive, both to the ropes.


Robertson had then a slice of luck, Grace missing a comparatively easy chance at point. At this time the West of Scotland crack had not scored. He opened his account just after with a 2 to cover from W.G. A great misfortune then happened to Scotland to Scotland, for without another run being added, a ball from Ferris got up badly on Asher's bat, enabling Cranston to bring off a capital one-handed catch at point.


The total was 26, of which the Scottish captain had contributed 21 by finished cricket. This let in the Cambridge captain-Gregor MacGregor-who was very heartily received. He had barely arrived when Ferris found his way to Robertson's wicket, the total being but 31. Mannes made a short stay, much to the disappointment of the spectators, who had evidently anticipated something lively.


R.H. Johnston next appeared, but soon lost the company of MacGregor, who had batted twenty five minutes for a single. Stevenson batted carefully for a few overs, but Ferris enticed him out of his ground and Board nipped off the bails in a twinkling.


46 for seven wickets was the condition of the game on the arrival of Cairns, a very poor outlook from a Scottish point of view. The Leith Caledonian man did not improve matters, Grace getting his wicket with a good ball which just removed the bails. Scott made some shocking bad strokes, being eventually caught by Pope at cover. As Macnee had not arrived, the luncheon interval was taken at 1.50 with the total 52 for nine wickets.


On a resumption a few minutes sufficed to bring the innings to a conclusion, Macnee being neatly caught in slips. Johnston took out his bat for a plucky innings of a dozen. Ferris and Grace bowled unchanged throughout, the former meeting with great success. At the same time his performance was not quite equal to that against the players of England on last Friday last, when he took seven wickets for 28 runs.


The fielding was very close. Board especially showing great form behind the wickets. Not a single ball was allowed to pass during the innings.


Gloucestershire opened their venture with Ferris and Radcliffe to the bowling of Robertson and Scott. The bowling was treated with considerable freedom, and 20 soon appeared. Four runs later, however, Ferris was smartly caught at point by Mannes. With the total unaltered, Stevenson brought off a magnificent catch at mid-on, the Academical taking the ball just off the ground. Loud cheers greeted this feat and the home players were certainly fortunate to get rid of so dangerous a batsman as Radcliffe in such a cheap manner.


Cowley should have been held from a skier immediately he came in, but that usually safe fielder, Macnee, dropped the ball. Pope had a life immediately after Scott, just failing after several attempts to hold a very hot return. Cowley gave Macnee a second chance, which he gladly availed himself of, and the batsman was forced to retire.


Three wickets were now down for 36 runs. Pope and Fox (Kent) carried the score to 54, at which stage Stevenson's lobs were requisitioned. The home total was soon passed, both batsmen playing stylish cricket, Pope especially. As the underhands didn't pay, Stevenson handed the ball to Cairns at 73.


Despite a double change in the bowling, Asher for Scott and Robertson for Cairns, the batsmen continued to hold their own, and to all appearance the wicket was now playing much easier. The century was hoisted at 4.50, or exactly one run per minute.


With two runs added Stevenson brought off another fine catch at short-leg, which brought about the dismissal of Pope. The Australasian was loudly cheered as he retired for a very pretty innings of 46, marred only by a couple of difficult chances. Grace had a great reception as he made his way to the wicket. Fox did not long survive after Pope's departure, the Kent player being smartly held at the wickets. His score of 33 was without blemish.


Cranston then partnered Grace, the latter showing all his old command of the bat, his marvellous placing of the ball being also very conspicuous. Just as he appeared to have settled down, he failed to get hold of a ball from Scott, and was well caught by Marshall, with the total at 132. Evans, who followed, was secured by Cairns in the long field before he had troubled the scorers.


Two left-handers, Cranston and De Winton, were now together, and both laid on to the bowling considerably. Mannes had a turn with the leather at 144, and nearly got Cranston caught in his first over. With 149 registered, the last-named was secured by Cairns at third man. The outgoing batsman, who has been in indifferent form all season, had played well for 15.


Brownlie had a short but merry stay. One ball was enough for Board, who was caught and bowled by Scott. This brought the innings to a termination, at 5.43, for 161. Scott bowled with most success, the Drumpellier man keeping a capital length throughout. Generally speaking, the home fielding was good, MacGregor, Stevenson, Mannes, cairns, and Pride showing up well.


Day 2:
Play in this important contest was resumed yesterday at Raeburn Place in weather conditions even more favourable than on the preceding day. The sun shone out brightly all day long, and the large and fashionable attendance of spectators which again put in an appearance had the satisfaction of witnessing a splendid day's cricket.


It was generally anticipated that with the improved condition of the wicket the Scottish team would greatly improve on their first effort, but few, were prepared to see them keep their opponents in the field all day. This feat, however, they succeeded in accomplishing, and when time was called the grand score of 289 had been amassed with a wicket yet to fall.


The greatest credit of this performance was due to a magnificent inning of 89 by R.H. Johnston, who had the ill-luck to lose his wicket while his century seemed imminent. He played all the bowling with the utmost freedom, and with the exception of a possible chance of caught and bowled, his display was free from blemish.


The veteran Marshall gave the game a rare start with a most serviceable innings of 64, made at a time when runs were badly wanted. Macnee was responsible for a dashing innings of 51, while Asher, though not seen at his best, was responsible for 23. Stevenson, who was sent in late, had 17 to his credit when play ceased.


It is only fair to the visitors to state that they were without the services of Dr Grace who, having lamed himself, was unable to bowl. The Gloucestershire men fielded well during their long outing. Pope being especially prominent at cover-point.


It was arranged to start play today at twelve, and take luncheon at one, so that the game may be resumed at two. This will give the visitors the opportunity of witnessing what seems likely to prove an interesting finish, with the prospect of seeing Dr W.G. Grace bat. The following will show the run of the game:-


Play was resumed at 12.15, Robertson on this occasion accompanying Marshall to the wickets. Ferris changed ends from the preceding day, Cowley at the pavilion end officiating in lieu of Grace, who appeared to be very lame. Each bowler sent down a maiden, but in the Australian's second over Marshall scored 6, including a fine off drive to the boundary.


Both batsmen played with confidence, and, with 18 registered, a change was deemed necessary, the professional handing the ball to Radcliffe. The change, as often happens, came from the other end, Robertson being completely beaten, and bowled by a fine ball from Ferris, which came back a lot.


Asher was a little unsteady at the start, but he soon got into this game, and between them the batsmen knocked off Radcliffe in favour of Fox with 35 telegraphed. Marshall got the new bowler's first delivery to leg for 5, the fielder obviously under the impression that the ball would go to the ropes. After this the scoring slowed down considerably, and as the result of an hour's cricket the total was 42.


The hoisting of the half-century at 1.20 elicited cheers from the crowd. A 4 snick to Marshall enabled the home side to tie with their united effort of the preceding day. As the result of some fine batting, the total was considerably augmented, and in consequence Ferris tried his hand at the pavilion end. The total was then 64.


Radcliffe took up the bowling at the end vacated by the Australian. These changes had little effect on the batsmen, who continued to play fine cricket, much to the evident enjoyment of the spectators. Just as the two seemed certain to play out the luncheon interval. Asher was smartly stumped for a good innings of 23.


Lunch was then taken, with the score on 87. A resumption was made at three o'clock, Pride accompanying Marshall to the wickets. Dr Grace's leg was so bad that he was still unable to turn out.


The Perthshire man again failed to come off, for after a three hit, he was very cleverly caught by Cowley fielding close in at slip. Gregor MacGregor was the new comer, a round of applause greeting his appearance. The Cantab was once more destined to make a short stay, for in attempting to drive he spooned the ball, which fell into the safe hands of Pope at extra cover.


R.H. Johnston came in, and had the satisfaction of sending up the century. He continued tom hit with refreshing vigour, and the single innings defeat was soon averted. The score was carried to 130 until Ferris contrived to get past Marshall's defence with a beauty. Needless to say, the veteran Grange batsman was loudly cheered on his retiral, the Gloucestershire team joining heartily in the applause.


It was a fine display of patient batting, and included one 5, six 4's, and four 3's, an innings indeed of immense service to Scotland. As Johnston had paid particular attention to Cowley, the latter was asked to stand down in favour of Fox. Mannes rattled up 7 in double quick time, and just as everyone anticipated some of the Drumpellier man's sensational hitting, he was caught by Fox from a very hard return. Score, 145 for 6 wickets.


Mannes arrived in time to see Johnston earn the first 6 of the match (one for an overthrow), both men running very fast between the wickets. Cowley then bowled an over to enable Ferris and Fox to change ends. Macnee proved a good partner to Johnston, the pair hitting with freedom. The former should certainly have been stumped when he had made nine, but Board muffed the ball entirely.


This was an expensive miss for the visitors, for the batsmen laid on vigorously, the second hundred being hoisted amid tremendous cheering. Scarcely had the cheers died away when Johnston raised further enthusiasm by a magnificent drive to the tennis court, by far the finest hit of the match so far. Great amusement was caused by the clever manner in which several runs were brought off, the tactics of the batsmen disconcerting the fielders not a little.


Johnston then opened his shoulders to Ferris and sent him right on to the canvas at the north side-the first six of the match. This rapid scoring at last knocked off Ferris, who was given a well earned rest. Pope was repeatedly cheered for his fine fielding, the Australian saving many a boundary. Runs still came apace, and at 236 Ferris had a turn with the leather once more. When Macnee's individual score stood at 46 he gave Pride (fielding as substitute for Grace) and easy chance at mid-on, which was not accepted.


Just after, the Fettesian completed his 50, the feat being duly recognised. The next ball, however, saw him well caught at slip by Cowley for a useful innings of 51, which took him an hour and seventeen minutes to compile. Score, 251 for seven wickets, the partnership having realised 106.


Stevenson joined his old schoolmate, and much excitement was manifested as Johnston gradually approached his century. The fates were unpropitious, however, as the Grange player had the misfortunate to play on with his score on 89. In his long and brilliant score he gave no real chance, and probably during his career he never played a finer innings. His score included two 6's, ten 4's' and two 3's.


On retiring he received a great ovation, his opponents, as in Marshall's case, sharing in the applause. During his stay at the wickets of 2 hours and 18 minutes, he saw no fewer than 163 runs scored, so that the value of his innings to Scotland can be well realised.


Cairns made a short stay, Ferris setting a trap for him, which he fell into. Pope bringing off a neat catch. When stumps were drawn at six the score was 287 for nine wickets, Stevenson and Scott being not out with useful contributions.


Day 3:
This important contest was brought to a termination on Saturday at Raeburn Place, the result being a brilliant victory for the Scottish eleven by 28 runs. Though the weather was not quite so bright as on the two preceding days, the attendance was very large, more especially after the luncheon interval, when quite three thousand spectators would be present.


Altogether some seven thousand people put in an appearance during the three days, so that the match was a success from a financial as wells as a cricket point of view. The conclusion of the Scottish innings left their opponents with 200 runs between them and victory, a by no means impossible task on a wicket which wore well. The home team, however, fairly rose to the occasion, and by really excellent bowling and first class fielding succeeded in disposing of their opponents for 171 runs.


The result cannot be regarded as otherwise than as most satisfactory, and it is bound to have an important bearing on future of Scottish cricket. No doubt, the visitors were handicapped by the absence of Grace from the field, but against that may be placed Scotland's bad luck in having to bat first on a trying wicket.


At all points of the game the Scotsmen were quite equal to their opponents, while in fielding they certainly excelled them. Of those who specially contributed to the victory mention may be made of the captaincy and general good cricket of Asher, the batting of Marshall, Johnston, and Mannes, the bowling of Scott and Robertson, and the fielding of MacGregor and Stevenson.


There was a scene of great excitement at the finish. Immediately Board had been dismissed, a rush was made for the pavilion, the precincts of which were soon in possession of a large and enthusiastic crowd. All the Scottish players were cheered to the echo, a special ovation being awarded to Asher and Gregor MacGregor. Grace also as he left the ground was loudly cheered, the grand old cricketer being evidently much impressed by the friendly demonstrations of the crowd.


The drawings during the three days reached in round numbers £300. All the arrangements, which were carried out under the superintendence of Mr Patten and Terry were in every way satisfactory. The following is the run of the game:-


At 12.10 Stevenson and Scott, the overnight not outs took their places at the wickets, Fox and Ferris taking up the attack. Grace was still unable to field, his place being filled by Asher. Plucky batting by both batsmen soon increased the score, Stevenson sending up the third hundred with a beautiful cut for 3. Great cheering greeted the appearance of the three figures on the board.


A smart catch at wickets just afterwards disposed of the Academical, the venture closing for 306, leaving the Englishmen 200 to get to win. Stevenson and Scott were loudly cheered for their useful stand.


As will be seen from the analysis, Cowley bowled with most success, Ferris' five wickets being comparatively expensive for a bowler of his calibre. Gloucestershire entered upon their task at 12.45 with Radcliffe and De Winton, Robertson and Scott, as in the first innings, opening the bowling for Scotland.


At luncheon (one o'clock) no wicket had fallen, the total being 13. On resuming, and without a run added, Robertson's second ball, a "yorker" got rid of De Winton. Radcliffe and Pope put a better complexion on the game, the former especially hitting with much vigour.


When 38 had been registered, however, the county player was out to a magnificent catch by Stevenson, who took the ball off the ground in a manner which elicited cheering from all parts of the ground. Out of the total of 38, Radcliffe claimed 30, by vigorous batting.


The advent of Grace was the signal for renewed cheering, the champion having De Winton to run for him. He had no sooner arrived than Pope should have been stumped, MacGregor failing to get to the ball. The same batsman had a second life immediately after, Asher missing the Australian from a very hard hit at the off. At the same time, it must be said that the catch would have been an exceptionally good one had it been accepted.


After playing quietly, Grace turned his attention to Robertson, and sent him right over the pavilion rails. Another four to the hedge followed, and as the batsmen appeared set, Stevenson's "lobs" were tried with the score at 64, Scott giving way.


It was left to Robertson, however, to effect the separation, Grace being completely beaten and bowled by the West of Scotland trundler, amid great cheering. The Doctor had scored 18 out of 88 in good style, though his sprained leg handicapped him not a little. Cranston made a short stay, for at 98 one of Stevenson's peculiars upset his wicket.


Scarcely had Ferris joined Pope than another magnificent catch, this time by Robertson from his own bowling, sent the Australasian back to the pavilion. The indicator showed 102, of which Pope had contributed 40 by very fine cricket, despite the two chances alluded to. With the association of Fox and Ferris, the game quietened down considerably, the only noteworthy feature being the fine fielding of Cairns and Stevenson, which the spectators were not slow to recognise.


Stevenson having accomplished his object, withdrew in favour of Scott at 116. This change should immediately have paid, Ferris presenting a hard chance to Mannes at point, which was rejected. The batsmen gradually got set after this, and runs came too rapidly for the taste of the opposing captain. Mr Asher, therefore, took the ball from Scott, with the figures showing 109, the last-named crossing over and relieving Robertson.


The change paid, for Scott got Ferris well caught at mid-on by Macnee, who had run some distance for the ball. Gloucestershire were now 55 behind when Evans came to assist Fox. He didn't survive long, for Asher found his way to his wicket, the Lorettonian having thus earned the unenviable distinction of failing to score in either innings.


Matters now assumed a most interesting phase, every ball being watched with quite feverish anxiety. Cowley was the next comer, and he seemed very uncomfortable with Asher's deliveries. Still as no wicket was forthcoming, Asher gave way to Robertson at 155.


Scott, however, got the desired wicket, for after beating Fox several times he at last dismissed him with a beauty of a ball. The Kent county player had played sterling cricket for 27. With two wickets only in hand and 45 runs behind, the Gloucestershire prospects looked gloomy, and the excitement all round the ropes gradually increased.


In order if possible to obtain a wicket, Asher tried his and once more, the total being 157. Brownlie and Cowley were together, and the former was badly missed by Cairns with his score at 8, from a "skyer," much to the chagrin of the spectators.


The let-off availed him nothing, for in Asher's next over he was caught and bowled. With 29 runs wanted to win Board came in, but Asher's second ball sent him to the right-about, and victory rested with Scotland by 28 runs. Asher and Robertson bowled with most success, the former disposing of the last three batsmen in splendid style.

(Article: Copyright © 2013 Cricket Scotland


| Privacy Policy | FAQs | Contact |
Copyright © 2003-2022 CricketArchive