Scotland v Gloucestershire 29 & 30 June & 1 July 1893
by Cricket Scotland

Ground:Raeburn Place, Edinburgh
Scorecard:Scotland v Gloucestershire
Event:Gloucestershire in Scotland 1893

DateLine: 2nd February 2013




Day 1:
A start was effected at the Grange ground, Raeburn Place, Edinburgh, yesterday with this contest, by far the most important on the Scottish cricket card 1893. Quite an unusual amount of interest had been taken in the match, and indeed, by the splendid attendance before and after lunch, it would seem as if the game had taken a new lease of life in Scotland. Of course the presence of W.G. Grace, always a name to conjure with, in itself sent many to Raeburn Place, more especially as the champion had been exhibiting form quite worthy of his best days all season.


Both sides, it may be said, were worthy representative, the visitors all being Gloucestershire county players, while the substitution of Stevenson for Anderson at the last moment was not thought likely to weaken the home representation. The weather, though dull in the morning, was fine in the afternoon, and the 2000 odd spectators thoroughly enjoyed the cricket.


Apart from the match itself, the occasion was taken advantage of to open the handsome new pavilion of the club which was erected at a cost of £2,800. This interesting ceremony, a reference to which will be found elsewhere, was performed by Lord Moncrieff during the luncheon interval.


As to the game, so far as matters proceeded, it was much in favour of the visitors. If the Scotsmen, however, had all the worst of play, they had certainly all the worst of luck. No doubt they won the toss, but this wicket just suited Ferris, and his deliveries were exceedingly difficult to negotiate.


The light was also very bad, and possibly the Scotsmen would have made a better appearance had they put their opponents in. No one, however, could blame Mr Balfour for taking the choice of innings, for at noon rain threatened, and he was quite right to make the most of his opportunity.


Making every allowance for the wicket, it must be said that the Scottish batting was disappointing, for small as the Scottish score was, it would have been infinitely smaller had all the chances presented to the visitors been accepted. C.T. Mannes, though he hit well and neatly, seemed to bear a charmed life. Mr Balfour, on the other hand, though his contribution was only 16, played fine cricket.


On the visiting side, Ferris alone showed anything approaching first-class batting, and, combined with his splendid bowling, the Australian fairly carried off the honours of the day. As matters now stand, Gloucestershire, with one wicket in hand, are 55 runs to the good: but as the wicket seemed to improve as the game proceeded, there ought to be some interesting sport when play is resumed today at twelve o'clock.


During the afternoon the band and pipers of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders discoursed a selection of music, which greatly enlivened proceedings. The arrangements, under the direction of Mr Alexander Patten, left little to be desired, though the crowding at the western exit door might have been avoided had the gate been thrown open.


Mr Balfour with his customary luck won the toss, and after examining the wicket, in company with Mr Asher, decided to go in. It was 12.10 when the home captain proceeded to the wickets in company with A.J. Campbell. Ferris and Murch were entrusted with the attack.


At the outset Balfour did all the scoring, Campbell being at the crease for a quarter of an hour before opening his account. As the batsmen seemed inclined to stay, a bowling change was tried at 19, Roberts relieving Murch. When Campbell had made 4 he gave a possible chance to Murch in the slips, which the professional just failed to reach. In the very next over the same batsman presented Murch with another difficult catch, but once more the Gloucestershire man failed in his duty.


Mr Balfour was not so fortunate, for with 26 registered, he failed to get proper hold of a ball from Ferris, and was well caught by Captain Luard at cover. Mr Balfour's 16 was the result of unusually patient cricket. The advent of Tom Johnston was the signal for loud cheers, but with the score unaltered was out lbw, Ferris being credited with both wickets.


Another hearty cheered greeted Mr Asher on his becoming associated with the University representative. After Asher opened his account with a neat hit off his legs, another misfortune befell Scotland, Johnston being dismissed by Ferris with a beautiful bailer. That plucky batsman, R.H. Johnston was the new comer, but the first ball he received saw him caught in slips, to the very evident disappointment of the onlookers, who had anticipated some lively cricket.


Twenty nine runs and four good wickets down was not a very promising outlook when Mannes came out to Asher's assistance. The Drumpellier man had the honour of registering the first 4 of the day, a nice off drive from Ferris' bowling, a feat which the spectators were not slow to recognise. In attempting the same hit in the Australians next over, the Drumpellier man ought to have been caught, but the fieldsman altogether misjudged the ball.


Mannes had another escape in again letting out at Ferris, though the hit was a very good one. Profiting by these mistakes, he sent Ferris to the boundary, though the visitors fielding at this point was all at sea. The play then settled down somewhat, but, just before luncheon, Asher was smartly caught at the wicket by Board, the total being 58. The outgoing batsman had been at the wickets sixty-three minutes for 5 runs.


Wauchope did not survive long, being smartly caught and bowled by Murch. The luncheon interval was then taken, the score standing at 62 for six wickets.


At 3.10 the game was resumed, Mannes not out, and Stevenson facing the deliveries of Murch and Ferris. The former soon got to work, and just when he had increased his score to 36, a neat catch at point by Grace sent him back to the pavilion. Mannes was loudly applauded on retiring for his useful, if somewhat lucky, contribution.


On McLachlan making his appearance, there was any amount of cheering from the numerous Loretto contingent on the ground. A beautiful catch by Murch in the slips led to the old Pinkie lad's dismissal. Another fine catch by Murch, who thus made amends for his former slackness, disposed of the Academical representative, the total being unchanged.


With one run added, the end came, Scotland being thus all out for the paltry total of 89. As will be seen from the bowling analysis, Ferris was most successful with the ball. All over, Gloucestershire fielding was not too good, Captain Luard, Grace, and wicket-keeper Board being the honourable exceptions.


Little time was lost by the Scotsmen in taking the field, followed by Radcliffe and Rice, who were deputed to open the visiting batting. The bowlers were Palmer and Steele , both of the Australasians.


If the Scottish opening was inauspicious, that of Gloucestershire was no better, for with but 13 registered Radcliffe fell to a particularly neat catch by L.M. Balfour at slip. Hemingway, who came next, shared a similar fate, a very fast ball from Steele glancing off the wicket-keeper's hands in the direction of Mr Balfour, who brought off a brilliant catch amid much cheering.


Ferris then came in, and should immediately have been run out, both batsmen being at one end. The chance was mulled and thus the opportunity of getting rid of a dangerous batsman was lost. The score was then taken to 32, when Palmer got past Rice's defence with a good ball. The outgoing batsman had exhibited careful cricket for his runs.


Captain Luard, who followed, soon began to hit out, but when he had contributed 13 Steele bowled him all over his wicket. The next on the list was the champion, and, of course the cheering was loud and long as the great cricketer made his way to the wicket, with De Winton to run for him. Grace, it seems, had hurt himself in the Shrewsbury-Australian match.


The score now rose rapidly, with the result that Palmer handed the ball to Campbell with 71 registered. Nine runs later the champion played a ball from Campbell hard on to his off stump. Of course, there was general regret at the early departure of Dr Grace, though no doubt the fielders were glad to see his back.


De Winton was the next arrival, and he had the satisfaction of seeing his partner pass the home total with a neat drive over cover. Another brilliant catch by Balfour in the slips brought about De Winton's retiral with 90 on the scoresheet.


On Murch joining Ferris the century was hoisted amid mild cheering after an hour and a quarter's play. Soon after the century had been passed, Murch had the rare good luck to be missed from successive balls, first by Stevenson at mid on and then by Asher in the long field.


At 123 Asher took the ball from Steel, who had been bowling since the commencement. Asher soon made amends for missing Murch by securing Ferris at mid-on from a very hard hit, the catch being an exceptionally brilliant one and well deserving the enthusiasm it created. Ferris had quite an ovation on retiring, his 39 being far and away the best innings of the day. 139-7-39.


Roberts sent the second ball he received over the ropes. He did not survive long, however, as Steele, who had resumed, bowled down his centre stump. The very next ball from the Australasian settled Brownlee. With his downfall stumps were drawn for the day.


Day 2:
This match was continued and concluded at Raeburn Place, Edinburgh, yesterday, Gloucestershire gaining a substantial victory by seven wickets. The weather was of the most magnificent description, and there was a very large and fashionable attendance before and after lunch.


After the visitors had been dismissed, it was generally anticipated that with the improved wicket Scotland would make a better show than in the first innings. At the outset this seemed likely to be realised, but after the dismissal of L.M. Balfour, matters went so badly for the home team that a one innings defeat appeared imminent.


A plucky stand by Mannes and Steele altered the complexion of affairs, and ultimately Gloucestershire were left with 54 runs between them and a victory. These were obtained for the loss of three wickets.


The batting of the losers in both innings was disappointing, and, but for the luck which attended Mannes the scores would have been exceptionally small. It would seem that English bowling is too good for Scottish batting, the reason, no doubt, being that it is so seldom encountered. A more frequent acquaintance with English elevens would lead to better results, and the Grange executive should not be content with a visit from one first-class English eleven only.


Play was continued shortly after noon, Murch, the overnight not out, being joined by Board. Steele and Campbell as before were entrusted with the bowling.


Both batsmen hit about them in merry fashion and the score was taken to 162 before the Gloucestershire wicket-keeper was smartly caught at cover by R.H. Johnston, whose excellent fielding had been quite the feature of the proceedings up to this point. As will be seen from the analysis, Steele, who kept an excellent length throughout, was most successful with the ball, though Campbell also bowled with considerable effect.


With a few exceptions, the home fielding was good, Balfour in the slips and R.H. Johnston in the outfield being very conspicuous. McLachlan also kept wicket very well, but he failed to hold the ball on several occasions. His stopping at the same time was excellent.


In a minority of 73 the Scotsmen embarked upon their second venture, the order on this occasion being slightly reversed, Balfour being accompanied to the wickets by Tom Johnston. Roberts and Ferris shared the bowling. Balfour opened his account with a lovely cut off Roberts which sent the ball spinning to the boundary at a terrific rate.


Good fielding by A.R. Don Wauchope, who was fielding for Brownlee brought forth cheers from the spectators at this point. Balfour then turned his attention to Ferris, and drove him clean over the ropes, De Winton falling over a form in his endeavour to secure the ball. Just after the Scottish captain tried the same hit, but De Winton was lying in wait and brought off a fine catch, much to the disappointment of the spectators.


With Campbell in, the cricket slowed down somewhat until Johnston wakened up and hit Roberts twice to the square-leg boundary from successive balls. This punishment necessitated the removal of the last named bowler in favour of Murch.


Runs came steadily until the score had reached 34, when Campbell, much to his apparent surprise, was neatly taken at slip. The military representative had played his customary perfect style for a baker's dozen. No sooner had Asher joined Johnston than the latter was bowled by Murch with a ball which just removed the leg bail. 36-3-9. The University player could hardly realise that he was out, but he had to go all the same.


With R.H. Johnston and Asher together, better things were expected, more especially as the latter seemed to be in better form than on the preceding day. These anticipations were doomed to disappointment, for the old Oxford crack fell a victim of Ferris with a ball which he seemed to play very softly. 40-4-4.


Without a run being added, R.H. Johnston made a slog at a ball from Murch which sent him back to the pavilion. So far Murch had taken two wickets for 6 runs. Mannes was cheered on appearing, and according to custom he soon got to work, though he had to thank Hemingway for a let off in the country.


A very short stay was made by Wauchope, who played on just before luncheon. Steele had time to arrive, however, and at the interval the score was 58 for six wickets. On a resumption a much better complexion was put on the game by Mannes and Steele, the former eliciting loud cheers by lifting Murch into the tennis court for a 6 and over the ropes for 4 in successive hits. Between them the batsmen knocked off the arrears amid much enthusiasm.


Roberts relieved Murch, but it only served to send up the century at 3.40 amid renewed cheers. Seven runs later saw Ferris relieved for the first time during the contest. Murch took up the bowling, and, with 114 registered, Steele had the misfortune to play on. The wicket had added 62, and the Australasian on retiring was loudly and deservedly cheered.


Immediately Stevenson had become associated with Mannes, the latter completed his fifty amid cheering from all parts of the ground. Ferris then resumed at the pavilion end, and got Mannes magnificently caught at point by the champion, with the total at 122. Needless to say Mannes retired amid much enthusiasm, for his innings, if a trifle lucky at the commencement, was of immense value to his side.


The Australian also found his way to Stevenson's wicket with the addition of one run only. McLachlan and Palmer were the last pair, and with the former out lbw, the end soon came, the total being 126. As will be gathered from the analysis, Ferris was again the most successful bowler, and his performance all through was infinitely creditable. The Gloucestershire fielding showed an improvement on that of the previous day, Luard, at cover, and the champion, at point, being most conspicuous.


Wanting 54 runs to win, Gloucestershire set about their task with Radcliffe and Hemingway, to the bowling of Steele and Palmer. Radcliffe who is a tremendous hitter when set, again failed, Palmer capturing his wicket with the score at 7.


With Luard in, the hitting became lively, the Captain hitting out in fine form. He lost the company of Hemingway at 18, clean bowled by Palmer. There was some cheering as Ferris assumed the vacancy.


The Australian commenced cautiously but his companion continued to punish the bowling until a splendid running catch by Stevenson at extra mid-off led to his retiral. The score was then 33, of which Luard claimed 24, the result of free cricket. Rice and Ferris hit off the runs, and at 5.25 Gloucestershire had won by seven wickets.

(Article: Copyright © 2013 Cricket Scotland


| Privacy Policy | FAQs | Contact |
Copyright © 2003-2022 CricketArchive