Scotland v North of England XI 24, 25 & 26 May 1894
by Cricket Scotland

Ground:Raeburn Place, Edinburgh
Scorecard:Scotland v North
Event:North of England in Scotland 1894

DateLine: 4th February 2013




Day 1:
A start was made yesterday at the Grange ground, Raeburn Place, Edinburgh, with the above cricket match, the first of the representative contests of the season. Brilliant weather prevailed, and the attendance, more especially after luncheon, was very large. Those present had the satisfaction of witnessing an exceptionally interesting day's cricket. Batting first, the home team ran up the respectable score of 176. At one time the Scottish batting seemed likely to collapse, but Campbell and T. Johnston, and latterly C.W. Reid showed up in fine form. On the Englishmen going to bat, a large score seemed imminent, with Albert Ward and Gunn together, but Stevenson bowled the great batsman, in addition to accounting for Diver without a single run being scored against him. When stumps were pulled up 57 runs had been scored for the loss of three wickets, so that the match is in an interesting position. Play will be resumed to-day at noon. Full score and details:- Hay Brown beat Hornby for choice of innings, and, naturally enough, took the first of the good wicket which Sellars had prepared for the occasion. The Scottish captain proceeded to the wickets in company with T. Johnston, the bowling being entrusted to Briggs and Mold, both of Lancashire County. By steady degrees the score was raised to 21, when Mold found his way to Hay Brown's wicket. With R.H. Johnston in, something lively was anticipated, but, to the regret of the spectators, he had only contributed a single when he was out lbw to Briggs. Pride, who followed, opened well, but after contributing 8, the solitary south-country representative unluckily played on. Another disaster followed, for that usually safe scorer D.L.A. Smith lost his wicket in consequence of Johnston calling him for an impossible run. With but 34 on the scoresheet and four good wickets gone, matters looked ominous enough. Campbell and Johnston enlivened matters considerably, the new comer hitting out with freedom. A double change in the bowling was therefore deemed necessary, Flowers relieving Mold and Briggs giving way to Diver. The change did not pay, and though Mold came on again at his old end, the batsmen held their own to the luncheon interval, when the score stood at 80 for four wickets. Play was resumed at three, with the Lancashire trundlers sharing the attack. As no wicket was forthcoming, the bowlers changed ends, with the immediate result that Mold effected the much desired separation. Johnston was deservedly cheered for his useful contribution of 30, which had occupied him two hours and a quarter in compilation. The score was then 92, or 53 runs for the co-partnery. Stevenson had the satisfaction of seeing the century hoisted, but the Academical played on at the same total. Reid, said to be the tallest cricketer in the world, was next on the list, and the Australasian soon got Briggs to the boundary, amid cheers of the spectators. Campbell followed suit with some capital strokes, completing his 50 amid general cheering. The two batsmen mated so well that Flowers took Briggs place at the bowling crease, the indicator reading 116-6-0. When Campbell's score stood at 62 he offered a chance to Hornby, which was not accepted. Mr Campbell was beautifully caught in the outfield by Sugg, who judged the ball to a nicety. Both batsman and fielder were loudly cheered. Campbell's innings, with the exception of the chance to Hornby, was a perfect display of stylish cricket, and of immense service to his side. Reid and Steele raised the total to 175 before Flowers found his way to the wicket of the stalwart Australasian, who like Campbell, was loudly cheered as he wended his way back to the pavilion. His score, if not put together in orthodox fashion, was at any rate very serviceable to his side. With Reid's departure the end soon came, the innings realising 176, a more formidable score than at one time seemed probable. As will be seen from the bowling analysis, Mold and Flowers bowled with most success. The fielding of the Englishmen was much admired, Gunn, Briggs, Flowers, and Sugg shining in this department of the game. With barely an hour at their disposal the visitors started on their mission with Hall and Ward to the deliveries of Fleming and Steel. The batsmen showed some pretty strokes, and the score rose to 34, at which a smart bit of fielding on the part of R.H. Johnston led to Hall's dismissal. There was considerable cheering on Gunn taking up the vacant wicket. The score rose so rapidly that Palmer and then Stevenson were called up. The "lobs" came off, for the celebrated Notts representative succumbed to a simple looking ball which hit the top of the wicket. Gunn claimed 16 out of the 55 scored. The Academical also accounted for Diver two runs later. Stumps were then drawn for the day.


Day 2:
Another interesting day's cricket was witnessed at Raeburn Place, Edinburgh, yesterday, in the second day's play in this important contest. Continuing their innings, the visitors, thanks mainly to a grand innings of 99 by Mr Frank had at one time a great advantage, their total ultimately reaching 291. So well, however, did Hay Brown and T. Johnston bat in the second innings that Scotland is now but 40 runs behind , with all ten wickets in hand. A good finish may therefore be anticipated today. The weather, though gusty, was fair, and there was a large attendance, more especially after lunch. Mention should have been made yesterday of the magnificent physique of the visitors, which excited general admiration. Play was resumed at 12.13, Albert Ward, the overnight not out, being accompanied to the wickets by Flowers. The lob bowler completed his unfinished over, and then gave way to Fleming. Steele was entrusted with the bowling at the other end. The Notts man hit with his accustomed vigour, causing the score to rise rapidly. Changes were tried, but it was not until 141 that Flowers had to retire, smartly stumped by Pride. Flowers had hit freely for 51, though he gave an unaccepted chance to that usually safe fielder R.H. Johnston. General cheering greeted his retiral. Curiously enough, Ward at the same total also fell victim to Pride's dexterity. The outgoing batsman was deservedly applauded for his stylish and faultless innings With Sugg and Mr Frank together, the home total was passed. Seven runs later the lengthy Lancashire professional played a hard ball on to his wicket. His innings was not quite in his best style. Briggs who had a capital reception, made a short stay, the little man succumbing to a good ball from Steele. Mr Hornby was also loudly cheered on emerging from the pavilion; but his innings was of very brief duration, for when he had made 3, Steele cleverly captured him at mid off. Kemble had just joined Frank when the luncheon bell rang. The score at that period of the proceedings was 208, Frank, not out 40. The game was restarted at three. Runs came so freely that Stevenson's lobs had once more to be requisitioned. It was left to Steele to effect the separation, the Australasian bringing off another remarkably fine catch, which sent Kemble back to the pavilion. Mold, the last man, played careful cricket, so that Mr Frank might have the opportunity if possible of reaching his century. This he failed to do, by a single run only, to everyone's regret, Hay Brown disposing of him neatly. Mr Frank was cheered all round the ropes for his dashing, if occasionally lucky, display. The innings realised 290. Palmer was the most successful bowler, and it was a misfortune that he was unable to play until after lunch. The Scottish fielding, as a rule, was slack, and in very striking contrast to that of the Englishmen. One hundred and fourteen in arrear, the Scotsmen started on their task with Hay Brown and T. Johnston as in the first innings. The bowlers were Briggs and Flowers. By steady, correct, cricket the score rose to 38, when the first bowling change took place, Mold taking the ball from Briggs. Bowler after bowler was tried, but all to no purpose. The fielding was superb, and the bowling good, but the batsmen played with ease and confidence, stopping the good balls and hitting the loose ones. At six they were still together, and as they retired they received an ovation for as perfect a display of cricket as has been seen in Edinburgh for many a day.


Day 3:
This important contest was brought to a conclusion at Raeburn Place, Edinburgh, on Saturday, the Englishmen retiring victorious by nine wickets. It may be remembered that on Friday evening the contest was in a very interesting condition, thanks to a fine stand on the part of Hay Brown and T. Johnston. The latter, however, ran himself out on Saturday, which proved the beginning of the end, for the Scotsmen did little good after his departure. Eventually the North of England team were left with 49 to make, which they accomplished with the loss of Gunn's wicket. The weather interfered greatly with the concluding day's play, and the attendance consequently fell short of anticipations. A rather curious incident occurred at the conclusion of the match. Sugg made the winning hit, but as the umpires were not informed of the fact, they allowed the game to continue. The next ball took Sugg's wicket, but of course under the circumstances he was held as being not out. The match was a success, and everyone was impressed with the demeanour and behaviour of the whole visiting team, amateur and professional alike. Details:- It was not possible to resume play until 12.20 when Hay Brown and T. Johnston took up their places at the wicket once more, Mold and Briggs bowling. The batsmen played carefully and well, and there seemed every prospect of another stand until Johnston ran himself out. It was a most unfortunate termination to a brilliant partnership, but of course the University representative had no one to blame but himself. The score stood at 81, of which Johnston had contributed 35 in excellent fashion. Mr Campbell, after opening with a neat hit, succumbed to Briggs twelve runs later. With the advent of R.H. Johnston, the century was hoisted amid cheering. The new comer soon got to work, and through his efforts the arrears were rubbed off. Flowers was called up, and immediately disposed of Johnston, who was clean beaten by a beauty of a ball. His 17 was the result of free cricket. Flower's fourth over also disposed of Hay Brown, who had his wicket spread-eagled. The outgoing batsman was loudly cheered for his perfect display, the Englishmen joining heartily in the applause. After the departure of the Scottish, little was done: the batsmen, with the exception of Smith, whose 17 included some very neat leg hits, found Flowers and Briggs too much for them. The venture realised 163, or 48 to the good. Flowers and Briggs bowled with most success, Mold proving somewhat expensive. The fielding of the Englishmen was again much admired, Gunn and Albert Ward coming in for the applause of the crowd. With 49 to win, the visitors opened with Gunn and Hall to the deliveries of Fleming and Steele. Both batsmen hit with unusual freedom. Steele, however, found his way to Gunn's wicket with a rattling ball, with the total at 11. Sugg followed in, and between them the pair knocked off the runs, leaving their side with a victory of nine wickets.

(Article: Copyright © 2013 Cricket Scotland


| Privacy Policy | FAQs | Contact |
Copyright © 2003-2022 CricketArchive