Scotland v South Africa 12, 13 & 14 July 1894
by Cricket Scotland

Ground:Raeburn Place, Edinburgh
Scorecard:Scotland v South Africans
Event:South Africa in British Isles 1894

DateLine: 4th February 2013




Day 1:
Yesterday at the Grange ground, Raeburn Place, Edinburgh, Scotland entered upon the second of their representative engagements, the opposition on the present occasion coming from the South African cricketers. Both teams were strong, though the home eleven, would have been all the better for the presence of Mr L.M. Balfour-Melville and Steele who were unable to play, and D.L.A. Smith who wasn't asked.


The home eleven took the first of a fair wicket, but the batting, except when Mr Mannes was at the wicket, was very tame, and altogether the day's proceedings were on the dull side. General admiration was expressed at the admirable fielding of the visitors, Halliwell at the wickets proving himself quite on a level with the best of English custodians. Castens also made a capital appearance at point.


The venture of the Scottish eleven realised 189. When stumps were drawn, the visitors had scored 36 for one wicket, so that the match is in a very interesting condition. Play will be resumed today at 11.30.


The attendance, it should be said, was never formidable. Rain and the customary, though dangerous, practising delayed the start until 12.20.


Mr Hay Brown won the toss for Scotland, and took the first of a wicket which was a very good one to look at. The Scottish captain and Tom Johnston opened the batting for the home side, the attack being entrusted to Middleton and Rowe.


Both batsmen started in careful fashion, and some ten minutes elapsed ere Hay Brown made the first hit, the neat drive to the off. By slow stages the score was raised to 16, when Hay Brown succumbed to a pretty catch at point, of which he claimed 6. The free hitter, Mannes, was next on the list, but he had to content himself with a careful game for a time. At last he opened his shoulders to Middleton, and hit a ball clean into the Water of Leith, the ball being lost altogether.


This punishment caused Middleton's removal in favour of Glover. This did not stop the run getting, the Drumpellier representative especially putting in some very fine strokes. Just before luncheon Mannes survived a very confident appeal for a catch at the wickets, Blaikie turning a deaf ear to Halliwell's "How's that?" The very next over, however, saw Tom Johnston magnificently caught in the same position. The university man had played his usual careful game for 18 runs, compiled in an hour and thirty minutes.


Luncheon was taken, the score standing at 65 for two wickets (Mannes not out 39.) Play was resumed at three, the teams in the meantime having been photographed. R.H. Johnston joined Mannes after lunch, and seemed very uneasy at the start. He soon settled down, however, with the result that the spectators were treated to some lively hitting.


At 3.20 the century was hoisted. With 113 registered, Mannes grand innings came to an end, a good ball from Johnson hitting his off stump. The outgoing batsman was loudly applauded for his stylish display. Two runs later saw R.H. Johnston well caught in the long field for a lively 24.


With Pride and Mailer together some rather flukey cricket was witnessed. It was brought to a conclusion with the dismissal of the University man, whose 25 was not compiled in perfect style. The grand total was then 153.


Stevenson's stay was very short, the Academical getting his leg in front of a straight one from Rowe with one stolen run to his credit. Reid, from whom much was expected judged by his reception, had only made one boundary hit when Mills bowled down the lengthy man's centre stump.


Pride soon after fell a victim to Halliwell's dexterity, the South African nipping off the bails neatly. A like fate befell Muirhead, who was none too comfortable during his stay at the wicket.


Cairns hit up 11 before being smartly caught by Hearne at cover. The venture realised 189. Rain greatly interfered with the innings of the Africans, who scored 36 for one wicket.


Day 2:
Play in this important contest was resumed at the Grange ground, Raeburn Place, Edinburgh, yesterday, in presence of a moderate attendance. Continuing their innings, the visitors contrived to top the total of their opponents, though by so small an amount that there appeared every indication of an interesting finish. Unfortunately, the Scottish batting, with one or two exceptions, broke down, and the South Africans were thus left with 94 runs between them and victory.


As they had scored 32 without loss when stumps were drawn, there is every prospect of an early finish and a victory for South Africa. The batting of the visitors, it ought to be said, was very generally admired; those who did contribute to the total in a substantial manner all exhibiting fine free cricket.


C. Mills was top scorer with an excellent innings of 53, compiled in very fine style. Frank Hearne's 36 was also put together in a manner free from fault, while everyone was glad to see the captain, Mr Mills, make so creditable an exhibition.


As often happens in representative contests, Mr Stevenson got wickets with his "lobs" when other bowlers totally failed. The Academical's four wickets were obtained at a cost of 50 runs. Palmer and Cairns, though not successful, bowled well.


The fielding, if not first-class, was at least good, Pride, R.H. Johnston, Stevenson, and Hay Brown shining in this department of the game.


The Scotsmen at the second attempt made but a sorry sight, not a single batsman playing the bowling with confidence. The fielding of the South African team was again very close, and matters went badly for Scotland after that accomplished batsman, Hay Brown, ran himself out.


Day 3:
Forty-five minutes sufficed to bring this match to a conclusion at Raeburn Place, Edinburgh, on Saturday, the visitors retiring with a well earned victory of nine wickets.


It may be remembered that when stumps were drawn on Friday evening the game was in an almost hopeless condition for the home eleven, for their opponents had but 62 runs to make with ten wickets in hand. When play was resumed therefore, on Saturday, just before midday, all interest in the contest had vanished.


The weather though threatening to look at, kept fair, and the match was finished without hindrance. Mills (27) and Cripps (4), the overnight's not outs, resumed batting to the bowling of Palmer and Cairns.


With 3 runs added, the Australasian got rid of Cripps with a very good ball. Halliwell, the famous wick-keeper of the team, then joined the professional, with the result that the runs were knocked off without further loss.


Stevenson's lobs were tried, and Mannes also had a turn at bowling, but the batting was much too good, Halliwell in particular playing a fine game. On retiring they were loudly cheered by the not over-numerous company on the ground.


From a visiting point of view, the match was a success, the South Africans proving themselves a first class all-round team. The wicket-keeping of Halliwell in particular was superb.


From a Scottish point of view, the match was a failure, the spectators having much reason to complain of the composition of the eleven and the apathy of some of its members. The charge for admission was also regarded as out of all proportion to the necessities of the occasion.

(Article: Copyright © 2013 Cricket Scotland


| Privacy Policy | FAQs | Contact |
Copyright © 2003-2022 CricketArchive