Scotland v Yorkshire 23, 24 & 25 May 1878
by Cricket Scotland

Ground:Raeburn Place, Edinburgh
Scorecard:Scotland v West Indians
Event:Yorkshire in Scotland 1878

DateLine: 4th February 2013




Day 1:
This interesting three days’ match was begun at the Grange ground Raeburn Place, yesterday. In consequence of the showery state of the weather and the numerous other attractions for holiday seekers the attendance was small. The rain however, did not inconvenience the players or spectators much. The play was of a high class all round.


The visitors, having won the toss, preferred going to the wickets first and Lister and Ulyett led the way, to the bowling of Messrs Webster and Laidlay. The bowling and fielding being good, runs came slowly. The resistance given by the batsmen was so strong that at about 30 the bowlers reversed positions. At 33 Lister, in driving Webster to the off, was splendidly held by Mr Speid with one hand. Ulyett continued to hit after being joined by Mr Wallgate, and when 50 was announced Webster handed the ball to P.B. Russel. 63 had been put on when Mr Wallgate returned one softly to the bowler, and was caught. Two for 63.


After luncheon Lockwood joined Ulyett, and Webster resumed the attack with Laidlay. Ulyett maintained his form and being well backed up by Lockwood the game became a little more lively and 100 soon went up. There were other changes in the attack, and eventually at 147 Ulyett was bowled by Laidlay, the ball breaking from the off, shooting along the ground, and striking against the leg stump. The outcomer’s long score of 107 comprised nine 4’s, ten 3’s, and a dozen 2’s. He was warmly applauded on his return to the pavilion. Greenwood had not been long in when Lockwood, who had contributed an excellent 31, cut over to cover-point and was well held. Armitage, who followed, was well caught in slips by Laidlay before he had contributed, while his successor Myers had no sooner gone in than his mid-stump was bowled down by Laidlay, who in the second or third ball thereafter also settled Emmett with a “break-back”. Four for 163, five for 154, six and seven for 165.


Greenwood and Beaumont were now in charge of the wickets but the former soon succumbed to the Brunswick representative. Beaumont and Hill played well up to 195, when the innings closed. The fielding and bowling were very good all through. When the stumps were drawn Evans and Dunlop were left not out, with 7 and 8 respectively.


Day 2:
This match was resumed yesterday at the Raeburn Place ground, and resulted in a very decided victory for the visitors. The attendance of the spectators was considerably larger in the afternoon than on the previous day, but was not great at any time during the day, while the fact which was soon apparent, that the Yorkshiremen had the game in hand, took away considerably from the interest of the play.


Operations continued soon after mid-day, Messrs Evans and Dunlop, the not-outs of Thursday night, taking their places at the wickets to the bowling of Lockwood at the bottom, and Hill at the top end. For some time the batsmen played very carefully, and though few runs were put on, the bowling seemed in a fair way of being collared. When, however, Mr Dunlop had raised his total to 10, his middle wicket was taken clean out of the ground by a ball from Hill which broke in from the off, and he retired having made a useful contribution to the score by clean and quick hitting. Mr Speid, who followed, put on 6, principally by cuts off Hill, and was then prettily held by Myers.


Mr T. Chalmers next faced Mr Evans, who was batting with admirable caution. At first there seemed to be a chance that the crack West-county batsman might do something to retrieve fortunes of the day. After playing steadily and patiently for an over or two, he drove him grandly forward beyond the ropes for 4. But Emmett immediately afterwards relieved Hill with the leather, and gave practical proof that he was in good “form” by bowling Mr Chalmers clean with the second ball he sent up. A truly notable collapse of the Scottish batting followed.


Mr Balfour was seemingly in his usual trim and had out on three neatly when he was given out “leg before” but with the exception of Mr Evans who still obstinately kept up his wicket against all attack, no other member of the home team offered any resistance worthy of the name. Mr Evans was last to retire, and he may be said to have committed suicide for on stepping back to play a teaser from Lockwood he hit his own wicket.


Against the bowling and fielding of the Yorkshiremen long scoring was not to be expected but Mr Evans’ 13 were made by sound cricket and took nearly two hours in the getting. The fielding of the visitors was exceedingly good while the bowling of Emmett and Lockwood, especially the former was admirable.


Having only succeeded in amassing 44 runs, the Gentlemen were obliged, after an interval for luncheon, to follow their innings. Their second appearance was much more creditable than the first. Mr Balfour got 13 by free hitting and clever defence, but was smartly stumped by Pinder after missing one of Lockwood’s to which he had run out. Mr Chalmers put together 28 in a fine a patient innings characterised by all his old patience and judgement. Mr Evans was in a long time for 8, and Mr Fleming’s 10 was smartly made while Mr Russel had several pretty hits though the alertness of the fielders kept his score down.


The innings ended at half-past five o’clock, the total being 83, so that Yorkshire was victorious with an innings and 63 runs to spare. A one innings match is arranged to take place today.

(Article: Copyright © 2013 Cricket Scotland


| Privacy Policy | FAQs | Contact |
Copyright © 2003-2022 CricketArchive